ARTICLE: The Truth About Polyurethane Glue

Some interesting info.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

Thanks Jay-oh-ay-tee; I did find it interesting as it confirmed what I've suspected through my own uses.

Curious that Gorilla Glue hasn't done scientific testing on what the founder claims is the glue's strength strength:

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Thanks for posting the link. I read it all.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I find poly (gorilla glue) excels at gluing oily woods. it works great for this. there other better glues for job but they are not practical or readily available.

Reply to
Steve Knight

FWIW and if you haven't heard. This month's issue September 2004 Issue 157 Wood mag(from the Better Homes and Gardens folks) there is a good study of various glues and polyurethane too. The author was somewhat scientific in his experimentation but his measuring devices looked kludged. He mentions,briefly, his experience with hot hide glue using hide crystals. My experience, although limited, doesn't agree with his assessment of the hot hide glue. He said it smells bad and has far less bonding strength than today's adhesives. For one, the stuff I use has no 'smells foul' odor to it. Me thinks he got the low end stuff which, indeed, smells ripe when heated. While SWMBO is looking over the produce at the food store you might amble on over to the magazine rack and take a look. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Hide glue is certainly produced from some malodorous ingredients. Modern types may be a bit less animal collagen and a bit more something else.

Here Dobbin ....

Reply to
George