Dust Collector Duct Routing

I'm deep into serious consideration of adding an extension to my shop. The project will include installing a cyclone dust collector. I have two obvious options. One is route the ducting overhead with drops at the required locations. The other is route the ducting in a crawl space under the floor with risers to the required locations.

I'm going to have to decide between the two alternatives pretty soon since they impact the overall building design pretty heavily. Crawl space with beams and joists or slab on grade? I'm leaning toward the under-floor route because no matter how I look at it, I see those drops becoming obstructions - especially around the table saw.

I'm not totally unaware of disadvantages with the under-floor configuration - difficulty relocating machines - difficulty clearing clogs, etc.

You guys with centralized dust collection, what are your thoughts? If you had a blank piece of paper and could do it all over again, how would you do yours differently?

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

If I could get at the ductwork to reroute it as needed, I would definitley go with the crawlspace runs.

Reply to
DarylRos

Thanks, Daryl.

I'm definitely leaning that direction. And since the paper is still blank, I can ensure that access to the ductwork will be available. Probably not as convenient as overhead runs, but how often is access necessary? (BTW, that's not intended as a rhetorical question. 8-)

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Tom, if you are rally starting from scratch, maybe Oneida's duct design service can help too.

Reply to
DarylRos

Yep, sounds like you understand the "gravity" of the decision.

Slope the pipe toward the collector, also?

I can ensure that access to the ductwork will be

access necessary? (BTW, that's not intended as a rhetorical

Reply to
George