Are spiral cutters really worth the price?

I guess you're right. "Honny, I'm sorry, we have to get the 12" jointer!"

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

Yeah, I've seen the Grizzly spiral cutterhead, and those blades aren't difficult to rotate. Though I doubt they can be sharpened, which to me, is a downside. So, you get 4 rotations and then discard. I prefer the standard knives that can be sharpened. And, if you desire, you can always by a set of carbide jointer knives.

I just bought the G0500 myself. Gave some serious thought to the spiral cutterhead version beforehand, but in the end opted for the knives.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Interesting. I wasn't quite so blown away when I saw spiral cutterheads in action. Curly maple just doesn't seem to tear out when my knives are sufficiently sharp, either. Go figure.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I admit I drooled over the 12" jointer for a while. I can barely justify the 8" jointer :-P

Reply to
DJ Delorie

They're only $2 each. That's $0.50 per nick, or 60 nicks per resharpening trip. TOSS THEM. Life is too short.

Reply to
DJ Delorie