APOLOGY TO GROUP

I'm not there yet, but I'm staring into a crystal ball. I don't know how I can escape that fate unless I quit driving. My right knee is getting quite painful. I hobble around like an old man. My right hip is none too peachy either. Right ankle too.

I still get around, but hiking up and down all the hills is starting to get uncomfortable. I have to walk halfway around the block and over a pedestrian bridge to get to the nature trail now, and by the time I reach the hump at the top of that bridge I feel like I've walked 10 miles.

I never considered the ergonomics of trucking. Evidently, never did any of the engineers who designed and built these damn things.

Reply to
Silvan

I agree Mark. If it is a tool I will be using extensively, I buy the best one my wifes let me ;) Although I WANTED that $1,500 table saw, I started out with a Grizzly contractors saw which started out being much more accurate than I was and after 3 years I am just now getting to the point where I'm looking to upgrade (but still don't *need* to). With the money saved I got my shop set up with enough tools to allow me to make furniture nice enough that the wife is authorizing the better tools :)

Unfortunately, this isn't my only hobby and I have to spread the cash around for maximum toys (I plan on winning when I die)....

"Mark Hopkins" wrote in news:Tb5Fb.17092$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

Reply to
Jim

I have a favor to ask...please rethink your decision.

I have been a woodworker and computer nut far longer than the internet has existed. Newsgroups are a peculiar social phenomenon. It seems a few people post a little more than others, then think their opinions matter more than anyone elses. Not so. The vast majority of newsgroup patrons are guys who just lurk and try to learn. Those are the folks you were trying to reach with your original post. I am not a novice and have a well equipped shop. I would not have recommended the tools you did, but that is because I have not used them. I still found your insight interesting and thought provoking. I have no doubt there are many others who will never post, but that found your recommendations interesting as well. I was looking forward to your next post, and again, would ask you to reconsider.

As for the "elite" who may have tried to abuse you and your opinions, I have a small recommendation of my own. "Don't let the bastards get you down". They were not your intended audience, and their opinions are just that, theirs... I am not interested in what they think, and I hope you are not either. If there is one future woodworker who was helped by what you said, his being helped is far more important than their opinions. You have nothing to apologize for, because all you did was try to help someone else. Ignore the "elitists" who probably spend more time polishing their fancy, and expensive, tools than they spend using them.

I look forward to your posting a follow up sometime in the near future,

Signed,

The crabbiest old woodworker in South Texas,

Bill

Expert Woodworker wrote:

Reply to
William R. Woods

Talking about funerals, some of you guys might want to chip in for a headstone when BAD pops his clogs:

I don't have a problem with BAD's posts so I'm keeping my money in my pocket ;)

Reply to
Frank Shute