Philosophizing with a table saw

Folks, From what I've been reading lately on the wreck, I guess this is the time of year to reflect back on my first 6 months of woodworking and try to impart some hard-learned lessons for future "newbies." So, without further ado, my collection of disjointed woodworking aphorisms--

Measure twice, cut once, let wood twist and warp. Measure twice again, cut once, let wood twist and warp, etc..

To the old adage "You can never have enough clamps," I would add, "You can never have enough lights."

By the time you figure out which tools you can do without, you'll already own them.

Yes, by all means, save a few bucks buying the cheaper chisels. The money you save will be well spent on sharpening equipment and Band-Aids.

Have you ever noticed that Norm Abrams looks like Bizzaro Superman with glasses? Hmm...

Draw your own conclusion from this one: I went to Home Depot a few moths ago and naively asked the guy in the lumber isle if they had any quarter sawn white oak. He replied that Home Depot didn't carry that brand. When I asked what "brands" of white oak they carried, he said "red."

I purchased several old Stanley planes on eBay over the past few months. They are, defects and all, magnificent tools. I especially like the "ghosts" that came with them.

--again, thanks for the indulgence.

Happy Holidays,

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Lawrence A. Ramsey

B&Q (UK's nearest equivalent) doesn't even sell oak. You just have "whitewood" and a tiny range of "tropical random hardwood stuff".

If you were to ask most UK non-furnituremakers, including house construction carpenters what a hardwood was, most would confuse them with tropicals.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Kevin imparted

I went to Lowe's and said that I wanted a pressure-treated eight-foot post that was at least five inches square. The fellow led me to their stock of 4-by-4s. When I pointed out that 3.5 inches is less than 5, he said, "We don't carry anything that large." It was then that I noticed he was leaning against their 6-by-6 posts. I'm almost certain he wasn't being coy--he clearly did not have a clue.

In a similar vein, Lowe's "electrical expert" gave me advice on installing a ceiling fan that would not only void the manufacturer's warranty but also violate several rather importantant points of the electrical code.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

Well, since you were in the lumber department, you should have asked him where the clue-by-fours a kept.

Reply to
Roy Smith

I went to a home Depot a while back in search of a spark arrestor cage for the top of a fireplace... so I ask the kid where they are and he shows me one of those wind driven turbine exhaust vents for for the roof. Even argued with me when I told him what those are for. May as well spread the embers to everyones house ::))

Reply to
MA Lee