Any 240v woodworking equipment need a neutral?

Not for 240V operation.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Wrong.

Wrong.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Ground it to your bench grinder, and call it a jointer.

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Only if you tie the generator frame to earth ground.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That is correct. That configuration is visible at the transmission lines. The very basic reason for that, is the attainable rpm of either 2 or 4 pole generators.

4 Pole being the choice of large diameter (1800 RPM turbines, lest the turbine blade-tips break the soundbarrier.) r
Reply to
Robatoy

What does any of that have to do with the use of 3 phase transmission, or 3 phase transformers?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

OK, we're on the same page now. You confused me with your reference to it as a "combination" of 3-phase and single-phase -- that's not the way I see it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, the generator frame is still equipment ground, whether or not it's tied to earth ground. *Not* tying it to earth ground isn't good practice, but that doesn't change the fact that it *is* equipment ground for the power produced by the generator.

Reply to
Doug Miller

BUT !! Would you not have to run your fresh cut wood through a right tilt jointer, Backwards if you use a left tilt saw?

Reply to
Leon

BUT don't lick you finger and touch it.

Reply to
Leon

That is correct. My insurance man filled me in on that and a real estate friend concurred.

Reply to
Leon

Everything. Try working out the rpm at 60 Hz and pole structure with 4 or 5 windings.

Is any of it relevant to the topic at hand? Nope.

Robatoy

How fresh?

Robatoy

I don't know you well enough to have you lick MY finger.

Robatoy

Wrecklish - A Guide For The Non-Native Speaker

"'Lecktricity" - Although thought to be in the firm grip of science by most, Wreckers have proven this to be a fecund area of debate and opinion. When soliciting "Advise" about "'Lecktricity", one must always be sure that it is "UL Approved", rather than "URL Approved".

"Planner", "Planar", "Planer" - All of these refer to a machine that is used to thickness and surface lumber. They may be used interchangeably but the local preference is for "Planner". Some would insist that a good "Planner" would make his infeed and outfeed "Planar" with the bed of the "Planer" but these sorts don't last long around here.

"Jointer", "Joiner" - Also terms that can be swapped indiscriminately without fear of reprisal. To those who would say that a "Joiner" can use a "Jointer" but that most "Jointers" lack the intellect to use a "Joiner" properly, most Wreckers would merely say, "Feh!".

"Mantel", "Mantle" - This one is obviously a fielder's choice although the origin is cloaked in mystery. It is said by some that a "Joiner" may wear a "Mantle" whilst building a "Mantel", while one who would wear a "Mantel" might have a Christ Complex, or at least be uncomfortable at parties. Ancient references suggest that Mickey Mantle, while capable of building a Mickey Mantel, could not construct a Mickey Mantle, at least out of wood. Then again?

"Advice", "Advise", "Vice", "Vise" - Certainly all victims of the same root structure, these are properly used as follows: "I went to the Wreck to solicit "Advise" about the proper selection of a "Vice" and having been "Adviced" by the cognoscenti, I avoided the "Vise" of misapplication." Sparkling in its clarity, that.

"Board Foot", "Bored Foot" - Whilst one is a unit of measure equal to

144 cubic inches, the other is what happens to a pedestrial appendage that is used as a hold down on the drill press. Which is which is a matter of hot debate.

"Tenon", "Tendon" - While it is entirely proper to say "He severed his "Tendon" while cutting his "Tenon", it is also perfectly fine to say "He severed his "Tenon" while cutting his "Tendon". Don't worry about this one it hardly ever comes up.

"SawStop" - A device which has been proven to make safe the cutting of hotdogs on the tablesaw. The Hotdog, Wurst, Weiner and Kielbasa Cabal is said to be pushing for its required use on all future tablesaws.

"Spontaneous Combustion" - A theory proposed by the those who insist that dust collection piping that is made of plastic will lead inevitably to shop explosions of nearly nuclear force. (cf: parthenogenesis.)

"Norm", "Roy" - Greek gods cloaked in the motley of modern usage. The "Normites" make use of "'Lecktricity" (see below) while the "Royds" eschew all modern devices, save "BandAids", which are specifically included in their rituals and are, in fact, the common sign of the brethren, so that they may know each other at WoodDorking Shows.

I must humbly beseech you to accept my apologies for the incompleteness of this guide and reference. I would hope that Messr. Eisan of Canukistan would enshrine this poor beginning in the Holy FAQ as a living document - to be added to and amended as the members see fit.

I remain, Your Obedient Servant In WoodDorking,

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

"clause where I promise to hire an electrician"

No, its not likely to be so clearly identifiable in the small print. But they are rife with exculpation clauses. So is your mortgage agreement. Basically, they are not insuring against your failure to do things properly, follow the codes, etc.

I'll bet you have never read your insurance policy or mortgage agreement all the way through. Not being a smart-ass here, but trying to make thepoint that it is best to build in right and bulletproof the first time out for a number of reasons not necessarily limited to insurance, liability and so forth,

Let's leave it at: "If your house burned down as a result of an electrical fire, would call you all the insurer and advise that you had installed the suspected circuit?"

Reply to
resrfglc

Better you should ask a contingency-fee attorney. Of course its not the "norm," but if you re-work your home's electrical service and sell it to someone who dies in a fire blamed on your wiring, you can bet the attorney's will be looking at the depth of your pockets.

And don't take legal advice from a real estate broker - they aren't even allowed to write purchase and sale contracts!

All we (those of us urging prudence, code compliance and completeness) are doing istryng to give OP the best advice possible. we are talking the difference of less than twenty-cents per foot for a host of reasons the least of which might well be his eventual liability exposure.

I grant you that the device will operate if he only pulls two blue twelve gauge conductors across the room and staple them to the floor joists rather than enclose them in EMT or the equivalent.

But I wouldn't do it that way nor advise another to take that minimalist route to wire shop or home.

Reply to
resrfglc

Please cite the code that calls for 10/3. Code is quite happy with 10/2. This is the second time you've referenced "code". Do you know what the code says?

And right would be 10/2.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Bullshit.

There is not "missing neutral". You need to quit giving advice on things you don't know.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yup - and I would be perfectly comfortable having them or any other inspector look at it. Unlike you, some of us actually know what we are doing with electricity.

Reply to
Mike Marlow