Any 240v Drill / Driver recommendations?

Hi

Can anyone recommend a decent 240v drill / driver? Its primary use will be as a driver as I already have numerous mains and cordless drills. I need something that will put up with more or less constant use with a variable clutch so it can be used for light and heavy fixings.

Price wise about £100, any suggestions?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

Bosch. For that price, if you look around, you would probably get one of their light industrial jobs.

Most domestic ones are not up to anything but occasional use no matter what make.

Why 240V? If I had £100 to spend on a drill I'd buy a good quality 18/24V cordless, especially if using it for screwdriving.

Reply to
PJO

Sounds like you need a purpose designed mains screwdriver, as most drills don't go slow enough these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Anyone know the difference between "self drilling" and non-self drilling screws (I presume). I'm looking at the following:

another site it specified (for a different screwdriver) a maximum of a No. 12 2" woodscrew or a different (not sure what) self drilling screw which implies they are different things?

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

It implies they don't need a pilot hole. i.e. they have very aggressive thread and sharp tip e.g. like the SF TurboGold

Reply to
BillR

Bosch PSB750-2RE which is a remarkable £53.10 right now in Homebase's 10% off weekend.

Reply to
BillR

Hello BillR

The sort that end up sticking into your finger when you rummage around in your toolbox?

Reply to
Simon Avery

yup, bloddy sharp they are, could use 'em as darts

Reply to
BillR

Oops! went to buy one and it isn't the model I was thinking of. The above is not good for screwdrivering. The model I had in mind is the PSB750-2RPE which seems to be £99.99 in most places.

Reply to
BillR

Tony,

This is available on QVC. The attachment fits into any chuck of any drill. You insert a screw into the attachment and you can set it to 3 settings:

1) Head flush with surface you are driving in to. 2) Head proud 3) Head sunken

You insert the screw and drive away. When the attachment reaches say a the flush position it breaks off the screw. the screw is fully locked into position so no bit turning chewing the screw. A cheapy variable speed mains drill is all you need. Worth assessing, as it appears this is what you need. Mains drills are far more powerful than battery drills and if mains is available you have less problems and no problems is driving the screw into say, a knot. The push hammer here is just a throw in job to make it more sellable.

Hands Free Screwdriver Attachment & Push Hammer

Item Number 515938

QVC Price £18.12 UK Postage & Packaging £3.45

The automatic screwdriver attachment fits onto any power drill. The clutch and depth gauge setting lets you pre-set the screw depth and torque settings. the spring-loaded ball bearing mechanism holds screws tight, and the push hammer has a spring-loaded magnetic tube which is perfect for holding small nails and pins - meaning you won't hit your fingers. Three screwdriver bits (PH2, Slotted No.6, PZ2) are included.

Reply to
IMM

That appears to be a hammer drill not a mains driving drill.

Reply to
IMM

Done a few googles and looked on SF, Axminster & Bosch UK. Can't find this particular model anywhere, do you have a link? Does it have a clutch and adjustable torque?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

I had a close look and it does have adjustable torque suitable for driving. I prefer the QVC attachment myself.

Reply to
IMM

Its important to have the P in the part number. This is "Bosch Power Control" which has settings for screwdrivering. My son has one and its very good. It doesn't run at full tilt when you start to screw but has a soft start which is easy to control. However, the problem with using a big mains power drill for screwing is that they are unwieldy and the places where you can use it are therefore limited. Must be even worse with the qvc attachment.. If you want the drill mainly for screwing then a good cordless with 2 batteries would be better

Reply to
BillR

When you are doing heavy driving (1000s of screws) a battery drill can't cope, neither can the batteries unless you have three on the charge all at once. A simple variable speed cheapy is far more powerful. A cheap small variable speed mains drill and the QVC attachment is a far better, and cost effective, option.

Been there and done it. My battery drills are Bosch with two 1 hours charge batteries and couldn't cope.

Reply to
IMM

Hi Bill

I already have a 14 & a 24v cordless but the batteries start running our pretty quick when putting in 3.5" No.10 screws (or similar) en-mass. Plus its damn heavy, very awkward compared to a 1.3 Kg Dewalt I was looking at for drywalling.

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse for a new toy.

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
TonyK