Choosing a cordless drill

Hi,
Having read the comments on this ng on cordless drills/drivers I am unsure of which sort to go for.
I will completely redecorate the house (4 bed), install fitted wardrobes and some kitchen units and put up lots of shelves!
I have an aged B&D hammer drill which struggles with our brick/plaster walls so I guess I'll need a fairly powerful cordless drill.
I don't think very cheap drills could possibly last very long, but I don't want to spend over 150 for just a drill.
I would be grateful for some recommendations on what voltage and make of drill would be suitable.
TIA, Mark

Get an SDS drill: circa 80-120. Wickes pro range (grey) drill/driver circa 60-80
Sorted.

I think they paint them grey so the pro's can hide them in the cement dust on building sites to avoid embarrassment.

No, it's so elephants don't get caught doing unlicensed electrical work.
And it works, too....
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at

Elephants only do Trunk...ing.

Tusk, tusk.
For that one, I think we should send you pach(yderm)ing.....
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote in message

As long as you don't send me to Wickes, to buy an SDS drill, I don't think I've got the stamina to keep running back with it.
"Andy Hall" wrote | >> No, it's so elephants don't get caught doing unlicensed electrical work. | >Elephants only do Trunk...ing. | Tusk, tusk. | For that one, I think we should send you pach(yderm)ing.....
Well, even HRH pointed out wiring saying it looked like it had been done by an Indian ...
Owain
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:35:15 -0000, "Owain"

So do you think that Phil the Greek is behind part P all the time?
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Andy Hall" wrote | >| >> No, it's so elephants don't get caught doing unlicensed electrical | >| >> work. | >| >Elephants only do Trunk...ing. | >| Tusk, tusk. | >| For that one, I think we should send you pach(yderm)ing..... | >Well, even HRH pointed out wiring saying it looked like it had been | > done by an Indian ... | So do you think that Phil the Greek is behind part P all the time?
Perhaps the African elephants want to strengthen their trade protection, or maybe his missus keeps giving him grief for not doing enough around the house.
Owain

I had one of those Wickes pro drills - within a week , the gearbox was slipping - kept jumping out of gear on the high speed range. I thought it was just a duff drill, but saw somebody else using one, where he had taped the gear change up to stop it happening.
After trying Hitachi, Metabo, Makita & Bosch, and having problems with all of them, I finally bought a cheapish McKeller 24v one from Focus. It has lasted for about 9 months, and shows no signs of problems (famous last words?). It cost, IIRC, 65, and is a nice drill to handle & use. Comes with two batteries & fast charger. Highly recommended.
IMM wrote:

Oddly, I agree with him on this (mostly anyway)....
If your only "difficult" drilling requirement is making holes for wall plugs in hard walls then you could go for a less sophisticated SDS mains drill (say 40 quid), and spend a bit more on a decent drill/driver.
(The Wicks kit can be a mixed bag since they use a number of OEMs not just Kress).
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:35:34 +0000, John Rumm

What brands would be OK at that price (40 quid)?
Cheers, Mark

This is one of the cheapest ones I can find: http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID0869 Are draper OK nowadays?
Also I'm a bit confused. Some descriptions describe a drill as a hammer drill with SDS+ chuck. Are these true SDS+ drills?
Cheers, Mark
strung together this:

I've seen worse. All (most) of my power tools are Makita and I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Yes, these will be a SDS drill with an adaptor that fits in the chuck of the SDS with a 3 jaw chuick on the end to allow you to use standard drill bits. These adaptors aren't for use when the SDS is in hammer mode.
--

SJW

Looks like it's the same as the Challenge at Argos: http://tinyurl.com/4cwps which is 20 cheaper.
Mark wrote:

There will be many limitations to the tools at this price point (google back on this forum, they have been done to death in the past), but if your requirement in "holes in hard stuff PDQ" then you won't be bothered by many of them other than perhaps the lack of electronic speed control which limits the finesse of whole drilling a little.
The NuTool Pro (orange and silver) may do what you want - its not _too_ heavy, and has a safty clutch. You may also find some of the sheds own brand tools or the Argos offerings OK. If you spend a little more there is a consumer (i.e. green) Bosch that Argos do that seems to get reasonable reports.
--
Cheers,

John.

If you are using it purely for DIY and you want something that should last you, look at the factory recon Bosch PBH 2200 RE, 59.00 at the following site.
http://www.healystool.co.uk/Right%20frame/Bosch/diy%20recon/bshdiydr.htm

Leave it out. One was 25 new and 20 used and reconned. What a rip off. A SDS was 90 new and 70 reconn. Some saving eh?

Are you blind or just stupid?