ANOTHER Shop Heat Question

I think you're wrong. I base this on what they smell like. Diesel and heating oil are definitely the same, but I think kerosene/jet fuel is different.

Reply to
Silvan

Gees, I hope no shop heater is that expensive. Last one I paid for was about $400 for the ambulance plus $350 for the emergency room. Then there was x-rays and two doctors.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hi Fred

Bullet type kero heater (at least mine) does not present a fire hazard even with fine dust. The thing has a pretty strong internal fan that keeps the majority of the dust away. The small amount of "drift" that catches within the 18" of "serious heat" zone does burn away so proper placement of the unit is important (but not rocket science...use your head). Been using mine for two years without incident and love the amount of heat it produces in my

18'x20' sq ft uninsulated garage, especiallly on 0F nights like we have tonight.

appreciated.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

really? then why can people use them in their houses? I was thinking more the woodburning furnace type, with ducts that move the hot air, have it somewhere else, convinient to the use of failed projects.

in article vJCLb.578$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net, Edwin Pawlowski at snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote on 1/9/04 10:50 AM:

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

It'll work, my dad did that with his bullet heaters in the barn. However, and it's a big however, diesel smokes way more than kerosene, and seemed to plug the jets and filter faster than using real kerosene. It may also take a while to get those affects out of the heater after you've burned diesel.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Because a house is not a garage. You don't park a car that may leak gasoline in your house.

Just to clarify, I said woodstove, but the code is solid fuel burning stoves. That includes coal, pellets, etc. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

... snip

... snip

Not to rain on a perfectly good sky is falling, we're all gonna die rant, but you know, these heaters he is referencing are being sold for in-home use and are certified by various agencies as safe for indoor use. These systems are UL listed and have been checked by the CPSC. Check out for a look at the CPSC recommended CO production vs. what Kerosun and other heaters produce. Even though the other heaters do produce somewhat more than the recommended level, 25 ppm is still not a problem: from : Example: carbon monoxide, CO ? hemotoxin; combines with hemoglobin 300X more readily than O2 ? TLV = 100 ppm; body can tolerate 0.01 % in air ? @ 1000 ppm (0.1 %) causes headache and nausea ? @ 10,000 ppm (1.0 %) fatal to adults in 1 min.

So, with adequate ventilation, such as the OP indicated he had in his garage, even an older model heater will be 1/4 what the body can tolerate.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I use a 23,000 BTU kerosene heater in the garage, which is nowhere close to airtight, so I am not as concerned about CO as I would be if it were fully weatherstripped. It works fine. In only emits a noticeable smell when shutting down, running out of fuel, or set at a very low setting. Apparently they are optimized for a certain exposure of wick. It will get a 2 car garage so hot on high, that you'll sweat. I am paranoid about using it, however. I don't leave it burning unattended, and it is placed well away from all materials and walls, etc. It's quiet, of course, but takes one to two hours to heat a leaky garage from 20F to 70F. I bought it for the piece of mind of knowing that when the power goes off during an ice storm, we would have an emergency source of heat. Kerosene runs $1.10 gal in the rural areas, but it is impossible to find in the city. The BORG wants $27 for a 5 gallon can.

I have used it for 3 winters, and it has needed little maintenance. I was shocked at this, because I expected to have to clean the wick and replace the ignitor every year. So far, nothing has been needed. I tear it down, inspect it, and reassemble. Good to go. I would NOT use it in a home without copious amounts of ventilation, around children or pets, or those lacking in common sense.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.