an M12v tuneup

Like many others here, I've purchased the Hitachi M12v router and it's gone on to be the favorite of my 4 routers. Many posters complained about its plunge action tending to stick. When I purchased it, I fiddled with the angle of the handles until the stickiness was *nearly* gone. Well, I have used it for awhile now and its not operating as smoothly as before. While missing the newness of the action, a couple of synapses fired in my brain and reminded me of an old article in FWW regarding router tuneups. After digging through the many shelf-feet (sf?) of issues and getting sidetracked untold times, I found the article and applied its recommended procedures to my M12v. WOW. Silky smooth action has returned. Actually, that's not quite right, it's better now than it was out of the box. As a matter of fact, it worked so well, I got my old Craftsman plunge out of mothballs and tuned it up as well. Again, works better than new (still has the ARHA feature, though).

For those interested, it's issue 152, December 2001.

Just had to share.

Joe C.

Reply to
noonenparticular

Which issue would that be? Date)

Reply to
willr

from half-a-dozen lines up in the posting you read *and* quoted:

/\ ====\\ /||\ ====\\ || \\\\ || \\\\ || =======================================++ =======================================+ //// //// ====// ====//

Then, again, it might be the April 1789 issue.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Robert, do you have the issue number for April 1789? Thanks in advance,

Joe C.

Reply to
noonenparticular

That would be probaly issue -2715.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

That was a _very_ special issue -- devoted to the use of higher math in furniture-making. It was numbered accordingly. "Aleph sub minus three" (ask a math major for an explanation of the joke, if needed. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Thanks. I think I just hurt myself from laughing so hard.

Reply to
TomL

I have that issue on SDVT

Reply to
Robatoy

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Gutenberg set that issue himself, IIRC,,,

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Reply to
nospambob

Okay, the only math person I knew didn't get it.....

help please......

Reply to
noonenparticular

There are various "sizes" (for lack of a better word) of 'infinity'.

They are identified using the Hebrew letter 'aleph' (looks like an '8', sideways). the size (or technically 'order') of infinity is indicated by a numeric subscript)

There is an 'infinite' number of regular polygons, with a radius of "1". There is an infinite number of regular polygons with a fixed number (say 4) sides (by varying the size). this is the 'conventional' "infinity" (aleph zero, or aleph sub 0) The number of such items is 'uncountable', but _merely_ uncountable -- you can do a one-to-one mapping of them onto the set of 'positive integers'.

There is, thus, an "infinity of infinity" of regular polygons, when you can vary both size and number of sides. this is 'aleph (subscript)1' (You have an 'uncountable' number of sets *each* containing an 'uncountable' number of objects.)

Next, if you relax the restriction that the polygons be 'regular', you get another (higher) order of infinity

Extend those objects into 3-dimensions, and you get even higher orders of infiinty.

*NOW*, if you 'extrapolate' (always a risky business! :) things the _other_ direction, 'aleph (subscript)-1' could be "arguably" taken to be either 'one', or 'zero'. (discussion over _which_ of those values is correct is rather reminiscent of Lews Carrol's "Jabberwocky".) "Aleph (subscript)-2" is something "infinitely smaller" than _that_ value (whichever it is).
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Never post when tired...

duh...

Reply to
willr

Ah, don't feel too bad willr, you turned this into a fun thread!

jlc

Reply to
noonenparticular