an ah ha moment.

I have those drums you stick in your drill press to sand things.

I don't use them often, but while making things for the DC , adapters etc... I needed to sand inside the adapters.

Well, I have tried regular paper, cloth backed paper. Finally today I said, lets try self stick paper... Damn... if I had tried that years ago I think I would have liked them better. The self stick works great, in that they don't tear as easy since they are not floating around asking to be torn... More use will confirm that, but they seem to be lasting longer than previously.

My ah ha moment for the day...

Hope that helps those of you that don't have the oscillating spindle sanders like me.

Reply to
woodchucker

I used PSA paper as far back as the 80's and it was relatively inexpensive back then. I could have PSA or hook and loop for free. I was the GM for a 3M automotive products distributor. IMHO it always trumped the hook and loop for the same reason you have discovered. A word of caution though. It is best to not leave the paper stuck to what ever it is stuck to for a extended period of time. Remove it when you are done with it for easier removal.

Reply to
Leon

Same here, I use them for sanding blocks, disc sanders, but never thought to use them on the drums...

I learned long ago to use my shirt to lessen the stick.

When painting, before the new tapes like frog tape.. I used to put tape down for masking and would stick it to my shirt to pick up enough lint to allow it to release easier with out lifting the paint. I was shown this by a guy who did the most unbelievable paint jobs.

So I did this with the drum... figured it would stick too good and take the rubber padding off.

Reply to
woodchucker

I use a hair dryer to heat the pad just enough to loosen the paper.

Reply to
Max