Sand Paper

I have been using the Festool sanders for about 3 years now and could not be happier. Yes the stuff is pricey however you get what you pay for.

For those of you that are familiar with the red Ruben sand paper you probably know that it is a cloth backed paper that I have have found to outlast the typical vendor branded paper.

Several weeks ago I was doing a lot of sanding, in particular, sanding a lot of glue squeeze out around those exposed Domino tennons on that large group of drawers I built. Because the tennons are proud of the surface when glued in place it is way difficult to wipe of the excess glue. Anyway I was replacing the red Ruben sand paper with each of the drawers. It was loading up with the excess glue. I had 23 on the first run.

Enter into the equation the Festool "Crystal" sand paper. This sand paper outlasted the Ruben sand paper 10 to 1 and excess glue squeeze did not load the paper at all.

SO if you are looking for an aggressive paper that is not affected by excess glue and lasts a very long time, consider the Festool Crystal paper. It's finest grit is 120.

Reply to
Leon

The 60 grit Cristal, with a Rotex 125 on aggressive mode, is like having a planer on the end of your sander ... took a 3/4 wide, 1/4" proud, maple inlay around a 40" frame down to flush in less than 15 minutes ... a foot

+/ minute.
Reply to
Swingman

Could you guys give me a little more info?

I am getting ready to paint a large, nice home that has a lot of woodwork to be repaired and replaced. With nominal dimension woods never seeming to match these days, I do a lot of wood grinding.... ummm.... sanding to level out trims, fascia, etc. This includes smoothing out epoxy putties, etc.

So will this Festool offering fit on a normal sander, 5" or 6"? I know Festool's dust collection is legendary, so how many holes does the paper have in it?

Next, how much a disc? Our local Woodcraft is the only Festool vendor and of course they don't have any. **Maybe** they could order some... maybe.

I bought about $600 worth of sandpaper from a guy years ago that had his own punching equipment. He bought roll ends from Klingspor and Murka Gold, and some other German brand. He punched the pattern, and sent discs out in bulk with a minimum buy of 50 discs. I bought several hundred, and I am now out of 60, 80, and 120 grits. The stuff he had was very aggressive and sharp, but it was a mix if stearated and non stearated.

I HATE %$&* STEARATED paper. Stearated paper has ruined more finishes than WD40.

Quite probably the reason the Festool paper doesn't load is it isn't stearated.

This sounds interesting.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Several weeks ago I was doing a lot of sanding, in particular, sanding a lot of glue squeeze out around those exposed Domino tennons on that large group of drawers I built. Because the tennons are proud of the surface when glued in place it is way difficult to wipe of the excess glue.

Leon, why aren't you taking that squeeze-out off with a razor-sharp hook scraper?

Or a card scraper. File-sharpen, hone, burnish to a fine hook, and work along the grain. You can do it without leaving a mark.

Life's too short to spend it trying to sand that stuff off.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

One would expect that the Festool paper for their 6"or 5" sanders would work on any other similar 5" or 6" sander despite the holes, but obviously without the dust collection. The 150 uses 9 holes as below:

this case the price is around .05/disk per hundred for the Cristal.

Got a couple of disks of 60g Cristal in a sample pack when I bought the RO125 and haven't been able to wear out the only I've used since.

So far, after 15 minutes of aggressive mode on that one disk during the previously described project (taking down 1/4" of stock on 13LF of 3/4 x

3/4 stock), I can't even tell it's been used and it looks identical to the unused one ... and I initially rough sanded a panel-glued 13 x 36 oak table top with the same disk before that project.

Ideal solution, of course, is to build into the job price a RO 150/CT 33 or 36 combination ... I guarantee that sanding combo will pay for itself before the job is over, particularly if the house is occupied, and the other decade or more of use will be paying you back in time, labor and material costs.

Robert, although you can undoubtedly piecemeal other components to the same effect, I guarantee I would cheerfully pay double what I payed for the Festool sander/dust collector combo rather than do without for on site use, _particularly if the house is occupied_!!

You're in the business, Bubba ... keep repeating: Section 179/Section

179/Section... :)
[...]

Robert I am sure any of it will fit a 5"~6" "off brand" sander. ;~) It is hook and loop paper and it is paper backed. Not as tough as the Ruben cloth backed but as long as you are not getting in to areas that will tear the paper, sharp points, it will last a very long time.

For the 5" 120 grit I paid $29.00 for 50 disks. or $49 for 100 Still not cheap but an unbelievable time saver and it lasts a very long time.

Leon

Several weeks ago I was doing a lot of sanding, in particular, sanding a lot of glue squeeze out around those exposed Domino tennons on that large group of drawers I built. Because the tennons are proud of the surface when glued in place it is way difficult to wipe of the excess glue.

I have 2~3, 5mm x 3/4" loose domino tennons which are about 3/8" proud of the surface on each corner. Multiply that by each of the 4 corners of the drawer, multiply that by 23. Add to that the loose tennons are round on the ends and are about spaced about 1.25" apart. Scraping off excess would take an eternity. I use the band saw to remove the excess protruding tennons and sand them along with the glue, around each, flush with the drawer side using the Rotex sander with the Cristal sand paper. This takes approximately 2~3 seconds per drawer corner.

I do use these tools but as you mentioned below, Life is too short.

Now think back about what I mentioned above, sanding approximately 230 loose tennons and glue squeeze out on 92 drawer corners, flush with the drawer sides in approximately 5 minutes, total. How long would it take to scrape glue from all four sides and corners of the 230 tennons? ;!)

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Leon

One would expect that the Festool paper for their 6"or 5" sanders would work on any other similar 5" or 6" sander despite the holes, but obviously without the dust collection. The 150 uses 9 holes as below:

this case the price is around .05/disk per hundred for the Cristal.

Might want to recalculate, says Hilda! ;~)

50 pack of disks for $36 comes out to .72/per disk. STILL a bargain considering the life expectancy of each disk and the fact that glue has little to no adverse effect on the paper.
Reply to
Leon

Tell Hilda she's lost, usual. ;)

As stated above, _100_ for $55.50 with free shipping:

Swingman

Hilda that's a little over a nickel and half, and a half ... LOL!

Reply to
Swingman

Tell Hilda she's lost, usual. ;)

As stated above, _100_ for $55.50 with free shipping:

Ok, still, isn't that .55 per sheet instead of .05 per sheet? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

>>> Tell Hilda that's a little over a nickel and half, and a half ... LOL! Times 9 and a half, and a half ... ROTFL ... she'll understand. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

>>> Tell Hilda that's a little over a nickel and half, and a half ... LOL! Times 9 and a half, and a half ... ROTFL ... she'll understand. ;)

I was getting ready to load WAY up at .05 per disk. LOL

All that figgerin and cyphering and fractions to boot!

I was converting 18 7/8" to mm this morning. 497.425 mm. Fark! Its hard enough setting to whole mm's .

Reply to
Leon

Could you guys give me a little more info?

I am getting ready to paint a large, nice home that has a lot of woodwork to be repaired and replaced. With nominal dimension woods never seeming to match these days, I do a lot of wood grinding.... ummm.... sanding to level out trims, fascia, etc. This includes smoothing out epoxy putties, etc.

So will this Festool offering fit on a normal sander, 5" or 6"? I know Festool's dust collection is legendary, so how many holes does the paper have in it?

Next, how much a disc? Our local Woodcraft is the only Festool vendor and of course they don't have any. **Maybe** they could order some... maybe.

BTY Woodcraft stores in Texas are owned by the same company. You might see if they can get some shipped to them from the SW Houston store.

Reply to
Leon

Full depreciation on first year, or annual decrements?

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>Tell Hilda that's a little over a nickel and half, and a half ... LOL! No, it's 55.5 cents each. Two zeroes, move the decimal over 2 places to the left, not 3.

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------ Section 179 is a total write off. No depreciation. The amount varies from year to year. Right now it is big. Next year a lot less.

Traditionally this is offered as an "economic stimulus". No some folk are talking about severely limiting it or cutting it way back as a deficit reduction strategy. Which is stupid. People buy equipment for their business and that helps produce more work, sales and taxes.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I seem to remember that I had a choice when I bought my last business computer, two 1040s ago.

When have Washington bureaucrats been less than shortsighted?

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

----------------------------------- Tea Party anyone, or will a general purpose Republican get the job done?

Lew