Amazon Regrets?

If anyone is suddenly finding themselves regretting their impulse Amazon binging last night, feel free to share with those of us less fortunate. I have been looking for a good price on a dw735 for over a month, totally unsuccessfully. And who wouldn't want a $100 compressor, or a $150 Dado King? Wait a minute, actually it's all trash. ALL OF IT!!!! Because I'm the generous person that I am, I'll be willing to take it off of your hands. I'd even offer you your full purchase price. I figure this generosity will put me in the running for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Seriously, though, nice score to those of you diligent enough to check the newsgroup frequently. I'm just a little jealous is all. After all, isn't that what Christmas is all about?

Well done.

NoOne289

When asked "Who didn't benefit from the insane Amazon discounts" your response would be "NoOne". Oh, yeah and Amazon. Bums, all of you.

Reply to
noOne

[...]

Dave jackson

My order for the radial arm saw showed up until after lunch. Now it shows I didn't order anything. If they are not going to honor their prices shown they ought to at least send out a email explaining what happened. Hopes dashed and gloat gone.

Mike S.

Reply to
Mike S.

Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?

-Aaron

Reply to
Boltman

You might want to and see what is going on as my compressor and dado seem to have shipped.

DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details Nov 19, 2004 04:01:47 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED

DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details Nov 19, 2004 02:51:02 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED

-j

Nope, I did and got the standard "it was canceled due to a pricing error. We apologize for the inconvenience." Dude said he'd submit the order to his supervisor to see if it can be reactivated. I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, an explaination email would have been nice.

Russ

Reply to
Daddyman

Well, I ordered the PC kit, and I'll believe it when it gets delivered. And heck, if Arafat can get a Nobel Peace Prize, anybody can.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

$400 unisaw...I guess some things are too good to be true.

-j

My wife made an interesting point. The compressor and dado seem almost as if someone posted Amazon's cost instead of selling price. A.K.A. wrong column from a price list. $149 for a Dado King and $100 for the compressor sound a lot like typical wholesale prices.

The Unisaw's a bit weird. I find $400 something to be well below what the wholesale cost should be. If wholesale was that low, somebody would be probably be selling them for $800, new. I would expect a Unisaw to go $700-800 wholesale.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I work at a camera store in SF. Amazon approached us to see if we would be a vendor for them. They said they work on an 8 % margin. Whatever we offer for sale, we ship from our location and the pay us the sale price less 8%. It sounded like a good deal except that they will not deal with sales tax and we have to charge tax for In state sales. We had to turn them down. I wonder if their margin is 8% for everything? max

Reply to
max

I received the following from Amazon this evening. Oh well.

Reply to
Mike S.

My suspicion is that you got your order in early and it shipped before Amazon figured out their mistake. I wasn't so lucky. But I don't hold a grudge. I figured it was probably too good to be true.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I got one as well. No compressor / brad nailer for me.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I have two local guys who routinely beat their tool prices. Tools don't retail at an 8% margin. The 8% is simply Amazon steering extra sales to the existing camera store.

However, they may get 8% of Tool Crib's margin. The wholesale prices I spoke of could be Tool Crib's price. AFAIK, Amazon owns Tool Crib.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

The Dado King story:

Ship Method: UPS Second Day Tracking Number: Status: IN TRANSIT Shipment Date: Nov 19, 2004 Destination: Order ID: Date Time Location Service Area Checkpoint Details

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nov 20, 2004 06:57:00 AM LOUISVILLE KY US IN TRANSIT TO Nov 20, 2004 06:56:00 AM OMAHA NE US ARRIVAL SCAN Nov 20, 2004 04:11:00 AM SIOUX FALLS SD US DEPARTURE SCAN Nov 20, 2004 02:24:08 AM SIOUX FALLS SD US LOCATION SCAN Nov 20, 2004 01:45:00 AM SIOUX FALLS SD US UNLOAD SCAN Nov 20, 2004 01:35:00 AM SIOUX FALLS SD US ARRIVAL SCAN Nov 19, 2004 09:45:00 PM FARGO ND US DEPARTURE SCAN Nov 19, 2004 06:50:36 PM FARGO ND US ORIGIN SCAN Nov 19, 2004 06:03:32 PM US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED Nov 19, 2004 05:46:50 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED Still hopin'!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Not sure what state (or country) your in but here in Michigan they can get pretty hefty fines for this. If the order is taken they have to sell one unit even if the price is in error. This applies to interstate commerce as well as I understand it. Here it is called the pricing and scanner law. You might want to look up any such laws in your state and pursue it further.

Daryl

Reply to
daryl1138

Russ, did you clear the content of this post with Bob? It sounds like it might not be 100% about woodworking. Our new moderator, Bob, probably would not approve. You've been given fair warning.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

LOL Yeah, thanks for the warning. I'll keep the front door deadbolted tonight just in case. (striker plate opening created with a chisel and hammer, everyone happy now? :)

take care, Russ

Reply to
Daddyman

IIRC, the scanner law only applies to 10% of the difference up to $5.

Retailers should not be held accountable for accidentally displaying wrong prices. Nobody is perfect. If it's a bait and switch however, there ought to be penalties.

As a web programmer, I can certainly understand how a mistake like this could occur. What Amazon could do is offer a $25 or $50 gift certificate for those people affected, just as good business policy.

Reply to
Larry Bud