Air Borne Dust Hazzard, for your consideration and comments

Doesn't that depend on angle and gravity, or something like that?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I understood it to "suggest" that it could be harmful because it catches small stuff and then recirculates it...

If that's true, I'm probably doing it right since my filter (box fan with pleated filters) exhausts through the window??

Min reason for it anyway is to cut down on the dust on things in the shop and it does that... really important when we move to Mexico, since the shop will be IN the house..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

ScRaPLeR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I read this some time ago and *still* bought an overhead air cleaner just last week.

Common sense indicates: a) Use a good collector to prevent as much dust as possible from becoming airbone. This is everything from a decent DC/Cyclone to decent filters/bags to extras like overhead blade guards. Do what you can to prevent your DC system from being a source of dust getting pumped back into the air. b) Use an appropriately sized air cleaner to pull some dust out of the air. Exhaust appropriately if you're worried about recirculation. c) Wear a respirator. d) Wear a quality respirator e) Wear a quality, properly fitted respirator f) See (c) (d) and (e)

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

About a year ago I moved all my turning work to a small shop in my finished basement. One of the prime concerns was of dust as the basement is also the laundry and ironing area for my wife's work clothes as well as a play area for our kid. Wood dust would not do.

I had a Jet 1100 DC with the canister filter which also made the trip to the basement and then bought the JDS-750 air filtration unit. The DC is in the corner of the 9'x12' room and the intake to the overhead JDS is "aimed" at the DC's canister. As long as I'm vigilant with using the DC when sanding and running the air filtration for up to an hour after I'm finished I've seen no additional dust whatsoever.

The Jet DC seems to do a fine job of capturing most of the fine stuff and the JDS seems to do a great job of catching what's left over or gets blown out of the filter. The JDS uses 3 filters before the air is sent back into the room and these guys are certainly not pristine any longer.

From my experience, it's been worth it and has got to be a healthier environment - at the very least from a frying pan to the head perspective.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC