Air dust removal?

Not in a workshop context - more the house...

We have a LOT of airborne dust here (outside dust, fabric dust and others).

I was wondering if any of the air filters (floorstanding ones) were any good? Not looking for "hospital grade, ion emission...) - just something that will pull some dust out of the air leading to less dusting and cleaning...

Reply to
Tim Watts

What about those electrostatic dust gubbins? I've never tried one, but given how much dust CRT monitors used to attract, the principle seems sound.

Reply to
Huge

Good point - through I'm hoping to collect it in a filter rather than have it stick to all the surfaces, which is the problem now. It's not it being in the air that's a problem - it's when it lands on all the shiny piano black surfaces that manufacturers love so much :-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ionizers do pull very fine particles out of the air, it's worth sitting them on a sheet of A4 paper to collect it, but never found they do much for actual "dust".

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't think that works unless you exchange the air quite fast ie before the dust has settled! I used to work in a clean air room for a while and you still had to don special clothing and cover your hair etc, as dust was still able to settle from yourself. Where is this dust coming from? Are you near a main road or some other source of dust, like a quarry?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Anti static polish and indeed a little bit of humidity in the air stops static. This is probably most of your problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The dust is going to fall eventually by gravity.

Dust is a nuisance, especially on the crevices of furniture and fittings.

Reply to
Max Demian

Once they have a nice matt dust coating, problem solved (so long as you don't touch it!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. Until someone goes around drawing nobs everywhere.

That usually being me...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tee-hee.

Reply to
Huge

Same problem here :-( We used to have a little gizmo that sucked in loads of dust near the telly. I'd clean the filter every couple of days and was surprised by the amount of dust. It packed in and I have yet to find anything similar.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

As Quentin Crisp once remarked.

Reply to
Andrew

replying to Tim Watts, Iggy wrote: I wouldn't go for ANYTHING that does "ionic" nor has a specialty filter. In my opinion, a Box Fan (

and a quality size-matching Furnace Filter (
beat ALL others. Much cheaper, customizable, quieter, easier filter change-out, can filter incoming outdoor air, sizing choices and actually helps air circulation to even out hot and cold spots.

Reply to
Iggy

Yebbut, I refurbished 2 chests of drawers and finished them with a satin varnish - that seems to attract dust to the /vertical/ surfaces far more than other finishes do. I was wondering about a polish that would stop this happening, as a flat, horizontal surface is easy to dust but areas with handles etc. aren't. I have to use a vac. for it as a duster - the easiest way - just moves the dust around but the furniture holds on to the dust.

Reply to
PeterC

Any desktop PC with front fans and filter will do that very well!

Reply to
PeterC

It is too early to say for sure but last week I was painting an internal door and had half a tack cloth left unused so used it as a duster on the black AV equipment. So far it looks as if less dust than would normally be present has appeared on the surfaces. No idea why, could equally be pollen has finally diminished from the surrounding fields but I'll continue the experiment for a while.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yes. Yes they do...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have you tried a microfibre duster?

Reply to
Max Demian

um, had something that was supposed to be good but it seemed to be a one-shot wonder. Haven't done much dusting in the last 20 yearsm so there might have been improvements. I've a couple of Poundland microfibre cloths that were advertised as teatowel 0 they're about the right size for a duster. In a day or 20 I'll try one.

Reply to
PeterC

IME, they do collect a lot of dust. But somehow they don't seem to reduce the amount of dust that gets deposited on other surfaces in the room.

Reply to
Caecilius