I already do these.

  1. change ac filters often
  2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
  3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Reply to
A K

Insufficient data.

What kind of dwelling? (single-family, multi-unit?) Age of structure? Do you keep your windows open or closed, typically? What kind of air filters? How often is "change AC filters often"? Is ductwork well sealed? Does the ductwork run through a dusty space like an attic? Street shoes worn in house?

I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few and others here will ask additional questions.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Agreed. There are many variables to consider when determining causes of dust penetration. But in a general scenario, exhaust fans in various room windows or a whole house fan would remove much dust and airborne particles.

Reply to
Meanie

That's an important one, but maybe not so easy to fix. Some furnaces just have a spot for a skinny filter. With the right filter housing you can put in a 4" thick pleated one that traps smaller particles.

Using a good vacuum that filters properly? I have central, which is even better, and dust that gets by and odors go outside.

Reply to
trader_4

Agree. Adding:

sealing around the attic scuttle access door ensuring door seals fit well and not leak same with windows.

A smoke pencil or incense stick can help locate were drafts are entering the home. I'm in the desert and we have howling dust storms occasionaly :)

Reply to
Oren

Buy better (higher MERV) filters. Vacuum better, with a better vac.

Reply to
Bob F

Dust comes from dead skin, carpets, fabrics and dirt blown in and tracked in from outside.

We recently moved from CT to FL. We noticed a huge decrease in dust. This house does have hot air heat and AC and I use MERV13 filters. We have more tile and less carpet. Aside from that, I have no idea why the dust has nearly disappeared. Previous house had hot water heat so no air filtration.

We'd have to dust at least one a week before. Now, we do have a cleaning lady every two weeks but we have not dusted at all and don't really see it even when she comes.

Aside from the heating system, I have no explanation for the difference but will continue to change the filter every 2 months.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is a lot more pollen in the air. The sand we call dirt grades down to dust too. Couple that with having the windows open a lot and you get a lot of dust. There is a regular haboob every time I cut the grass.

Reply to
gfretwell