ACQ wood

Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new wood treatment?

Reply to
ddabney67

Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new wood treatment?

Reply to
ddabney67

Greetings. My spouse and I want to build a large shelving project for the unfinished section of our basement. We were going to use 2 by 2s of ACQ treated wood. I cannot get a straight answer as to whether that application would be okay. Is the enclosed space an issue with the new wood treatment?

Reply to
ddabney67

Yes it is. The "new" treated lumber puts out an odor that make you both very sick. If you cut this type of wood indoors it can also explode. The new wood is very dangerous so be careful. I'm told it also contains carcinagens ( cancer causing agents). I would not reccommend using it indoors. My husband is the manager at a local Lowe's and we did alot of research on this wood. Most of our answers came from OSHA.

ddabney67 wrote:

Reply to
Nancy

Here is the location of the information you want.

general it smalls bad (ammonia) and it is bad to eat. It is no where near as bad as the old treatment methods.

Read the safety sheet and follow the suggestions on the site and you should be fine. I have a small amount in an area of the basement where we had water problems as the sill board.

I would suggest you use regular wood in your basement, unless you have a real problem with standing water.

I have wooden shelves that are 15 years old in my basement, unpainted that show no signs of problems, including the sill board (the ones that lay on the floor) and the verticals that lay directly on the concrete wall.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Houseman

It is something I would not do, but not because of the treatment chemicals, but because of the treatment. Treated wood is very wet and it warps, cracks and checks as it dries. If your concern is to wetness in the basement, the feet of the shelves would be the place for treated wood.

I would probably use 2x4s though.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

And OSHA told you it could explode if cut indoors?

Next time someone asks a question, and you don't know the answer, keep still. Don't just make up a bunch of crap.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, aside from basic imporbability of it explodign in the first place, if it was going to explode, how would cutting it outdoors stops it from exploding?

Such as?

Reply to
fredfighter

If it's going with certainty to be damp then ipe would be good for the bases--if it's purely a precaution white oak or walnut should be fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Nancy

Um, and if it's posted on the internet, it must be true.

Yeah.

Or, you could follow Doug's advice and not post about things that you don't know anything about.

Reply to
Mike

The fire/explosion hazards don't appear to be any different than any other wood substance.

Nova

I know more about ACQ wood in my little finger than you guys have in your entire brain. Obviously if a woman knows something on this site it must be wrong. I agree with the other gentleman that said this site is obviously not one I want to be a part of. You are all too assanine for me.

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Nancy

OK, Nancy, let me explain this to you. First of all, you are a top poster, which everyone who is familiar with usenet knows is a good way to make gibberish out of any thread. It also illustrates that the top poster is a newbie.

Second, when those of us who have been working in this field for the last 35 years hear something that we KNOW to be incorrect, we like to point it out. Take me for instance, I have purchased and used over $50,000.00 worth of ACQ treated lumber in the past year. It has been used in a variety of applications, including situations indoors. It has never been a problem, except for the attention to detail in regards to fasteners that must be paid to its use.

Last month we built, in an indoor workshop, a set of stairs for a deck along with the metal handrails for both the deck and the stairs. We had people sawing ACQ treated lumber right beside people using grinders and cutting torches. No explosion. When we were through, we swept up a wheel barrow full of sawdust and metal shavings. If it won't explode in that environment, I doubt that it will.

Being that I and my employees have and will continue to use this material for the foreseeable future, it is my job to be educated on the issue. This is not for curiosity sake, but because my livelihood depends on being able to use it safely and effectively. If you think that you know more about it than I do, you are mistaken. If you get it wrong, no problem. If I get it wrong, projects may not be built correctly, sick employees may sue me, clients may sue me for shoddy work and I may go out of business. Who do you think has more of a stake in the knowledge base?

You may have read about this a bit, but I have read everything that I can find about it and even if I hadn't educated myself, I would know from experience that what you posted about it is uninformed bullshit.

Sorry if you don't like that, but it is the truth.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Well, if your husband is anything like you then it explains much about Lowes.

Next time you're getting information from OSHA, get information about plain old ordinary pine and then compare what they say about that and about ACQ and I think you're going to find that you know a lot less than you thought you did.

I would not have noticed that you were a woman if you had not specifically mentioned it--nobody cares whether you are a woman, what matters is that you are full of crap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Where did you find this on the internet? A URL would be helpful.

What exactly is it that would explode? Why would it make a difference if you are indoors or out? Don't you agree that one needs to understand a hazard inorder to protect oneself from it/

I've read the MSDS. And I've looked into the carcinogenicity of the chemicals in AQC treated wood. They are listed as 'probably not' carcinogens, or 'unknown'. I do find it a bit dis- concerting that the product is widely available but has not been tested for carcinogenicity. But I do not understand how you got from unknown to carcinogenic. Can you explain?

Wood dust in general, even untreated is considered to contain carcinogens. Some, like Western Red Cedar more so than others.

And of course wood dust in general is an explosion hazard though it is difficult to get conditions condusive to an explosion under normal shop condidtions. But if you try throwing a can full of sawdust onto a bonfire the result may be exciting.

Reply to
fredfighter

Would you agree that I have been polite?

WIll you respond to my questions?

Reply to
fredfighter

Sun, Nov 12, 2006, 8:14am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nancy) doth proclaimeth: If you cut this type of wood indoors it can also explode. The new wood is very dangerous

When ACQ wood is outlawed, only outlaws will have ACQ wood?

JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Reply to
J T

So, this guy sets out to put you in your place then proceeds to stick his head up his ass. Priceless.

Reply to
CW

Guys, you are not looking at the big picture here. Obviously Nancy is talking about cutting this wood in a shop equipped with an ungrounded dust collection system.....

Reply to
lwasserm