a lurking woodworkers questions.

Hello and I love browsing the group, learning tidbits, listening to most of the banter and filtering that I don't but I do have a few questions and comments

#1 I've read some woodworking books from the local library and one method that I never heard of before was mentioned in Ken Sadler's 'Building Fine Furniture From Solid Wood', Chapter 11, When you need curves page 39.

My question is are there any faqs, articles, web sites I could read? I'd like to well expand my not so much knowledge as how, but discussion, point tips and such so I might expand my inspiration so to speak.

#2 are there ANY faqs,articles, web sites I could read on making your OWN tambour. the stuff I see price is of the highest quality but I also would like to put new winter tires on this year :P I'm sure before the net and couriers must have this must have been done for personal use.

#3 this is more a comment and I'm sure someone is about to hit me with the piece I have left, but I will preface I did try to find someone who could use it. about 10 years ago, we had to cut down a huge cherry tree on our property. live on the coast and the tree was Y'd part way up and the weight was going to make it split no matter how we pruned it, had to small shops around it and sure as you'll forget were you put your tape measure when its on your belt that would fall on one of the shops the next large wind storm. we did ask around for 2-3 weeks if ANYONE wanted the wood, I did, because I thought they might you know give me well 5.00 and haul the sob away or even haul it away, well live in a rural area and NO One wanted it so we junked it up and my uncle hauled it away for firewood the tree probably had a 16" trunk.

#4 Now I did save one piece its about 20" long and the diameter of the tree, stored it in one of the unheated shops I always wanted to make a jewelry or music box out of it someday, the ends have split some but its still I believe huge enough I could get enough out of it, some day if i have the tools the time. I was thinking if I could turn it on a lathe then slice the top off and square the sides, I suspect I'd have to take off the bottom to make it easy to hollow out but it was just a thought, I was and am no expert. I mean I've done construction, wiring, plumbing, engine rebuilding and do our own home repairs just never tried fine woodworking since high school. I used to dream pc delivery truck would break down in my yard and have to be unloaded, now I see a large general tools truck having the same problem in my dreams :)

are there methods I could leave the base of the jewelry or music box or what ever i turn it into if I ever do, on and hollow the box out true and square? if I slice the bottom off should I use a router (hmm need one of those to, better dream of a second truck) and slot it up in to make it stronger or keep the faces where I cut completely undressed so I can try to make the joint look seamless.

#5 this is another anti gloat kind of like looking at tools at a woodworking show my neighbor I was helping him in his garage and yes I could borrow them but they'd need so much repair and they are SO nice I'd feel guilty even touching them. he had on an old top shelf a #5 stanley plane dusty setting on its face and yes it has a small nick in the blade. under it was a box I took down and opened, something i didn't understand was a old set of I guess wooden moulding planes? in a wood case all original, wooden blocks with steel blades in the shapes of various designs and trim, with wooden wedges behind the blades, must have been 6 or 8 in the box. so I put them back in there box carefully fastened the clasps on the lid, put them back up on the shelf and set the #5 plane back on top, on its side this time. and walked out to go home and eat dinner.

may you all have the same number of fingers and toes you started as you end with today.

Robert Corkum

Reply to
Robert C. Corkum

Cut some strips and glue them onto a piece of canvas. Go ahead and try it.

Ken Muldrew

Woodsmith had some great articles on tambour use & making in their earlier issues. (#17, 20, 25, 40, 69 & 10) WOOD may have covered the topic in the past also. As usual, the Woodsmith stuff was VERY fool-proof. Simply read and follow the step by step instructions. I was fool enough to try. The roll top computer desk I built for our Commodore-64 computer (I said these were early issues) turned out great. Was far less $$$ than buying ready-made tambours from a wood supply shop and went a long way boosting my self confidence in the shop. My wife & I were very pleased to show off the deck and say, "That's right, we made the tambours ourselves!" Desk now relegated to the shop but those "home-made" tambours still work!

Give it a try!

Dexter

Reply to
DexAZ

Nawm did a nice tambour in New Yankee. See the tambour desk project. Video shows it well.

luck, Paul

Reply to
Paul