Oops! Did I do that?

A few minutes ago I cut several boards on the BS. As soon as I was done, I looked down to see a power cord from the CMS draped in front of the BS and the lower wheel housing of the BS was open! The CMS cord was plugged into an overhead reel on the other side of the BS, causing the cord to come in contact with the BS blade. I found a nick in the cord's outer insulation; thank goodness it didn't penetrate to the conductors. (At least I didn't damage the cord to my newest toy.)

So how, you ask, did I not notice the housing door was open? The BS and CMS share a section of the shop, along with the DP, in one corner. When walking up to the BS I have to kind of side step to it due to the confined area during construction of my desk.

Miscreants, have a field day with my mistake. I'm sure y'all can think of an infinite number of insults.

To the rest of you folks: keep those BS doors closed! :)

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave
[...]

You did damege it and you should have it replaced. The only advantage that not going all the way to the conductors had is that the saw blade is not damaged, which it would have been by the sort circuit current (wich *should* have reached a few hundred amps)

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Bad Monkey!

(and all along I thought Keeter was wrong for spanking the monkey in public

he wasn't so wrong, nor a little too strong

Brain Area Dead is a nudnik)

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

electricians tape has already been applied! I've got a LOT worse nicks in extension cords that have been repaired years ago. :) I would guess that in that thick cord I nicked today, the depth of nick is LESS than a

1/16". More of a wake up call to be more aware of the BS lower door position! It could have been catastrophic, considering a shower of sparks had the blade hit the conductors; the dust collect running with the inlet less than a foot from the action; the separator and DC right behind the BS. I DO have 5 fire extinguishers on the premises...

"Anything can happen to anyone at anytime" is the name of this tune.

dave

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

This is a good opportunity to remind folks that fire extinguishers are a really important part of any wood shop! Make sure they're up to date, and located where you'll be able to get to them in the worst situation.

I mention this only because we had an opportunity to use one of ours recently (candle in the living room). Having the right "tools" for the job reduced the panic and made short work of a bad situation.

FYI our house is also one of only four buildings in our town that has built-in fire sprinklers. We also have a 24/7 monitoring service hooked into the sprinklers, if they go off the fire dept is called. We even have one of those nifty twist-on connectors for the fire trucks.

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst!

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Now it's YOUR turn to fire your writers. First Keeter couldn't come up with anything noteworthy, and now you decide plagiarism is the best you can muster. Tom, Tom, Tom, I have greater expectations of you than this!

Please try again.

dave

Tom Wats> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Ya know wha tI like for repairs like this is that self fusing silicone tape. Really neat, and at HD too!

John

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

DJ,

Is that a single family, unattached home?

dave

DJ Delorie wrote: snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave, welcome to the "I can't believe I was that stupid" club!

I'm a member too. (aren't we all?)

Years ago, I was setting up a display in the center of an electronics store. No power available except on the walls. Plugged a new heavy-duty extension cord into the nearest outlet on the wall. Routed the cord over, under, around and through other displays until it reached the new display. But the extension cord still way too long. No problem, allow a couple feet extra, shorten the cord and put a new end on. (hold on, you are getting ahead of me) Dug out my new, heavy-duty side-cutters to lop off the excess +15' and then install a new jack. FLASH!!! POW!!! BOOM!!! (the stereos, radios and TVs on one side of the store go dead) "Awe S#$T!!!" My nice, new, H/D side-cutters were now a H/D useless, sort-of strippers & I had an ugly burn on my hand.

LESSON LEARNED: _Always_ check to make sure some idiot has not left the cord plugged into the outlet BEFORE you go lopping of the other end!

I kept that useless side-cutters in my tool box for years before finally tossing them out. They reminded my how important it is to double check everything when working with electricity.

Glad you only ended up with a nicked cord, Dave.

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

That's one major setup you have for a fire system in your house. What kind of discount did you get on your homeowners policy ?

Reply to
Bob Gramza

Dex,

Hey look on the bright side! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I almost was electrocuted at the tender age of 7 and remember it vividly to this day, so I know you must have been "shocked and awed" by the fireworks.

I've got a great respect for 'lectricity and whenever I'm working on a circuit, I not only check the lines with a meter (AFTER of course, shutting off the breaker), I will touch the hot to ground as a functional test that there are indeed no nasty electrons flowing through that circuit. I'd rather have a breaker pop (assuming that somehow the wrong breaker was shut off, or that somehow the circuit became energized) or weld a wire than let it flow through me.

I usually cut my wires with hedge trimmers! :)

dave

DexAZ wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yes.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Hell you out to see how many short ext cords I have due to the electric lawn mower I have constantly eating them

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I don't recall. There's a risk of water damage which offsets some of it, but there was a net discount.

Our house is on the edge of town, and 0.3 miles from the road. Nobody would notice if it caught fire, until it was too late.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

There once was a young man called BAD His life, on the whole, rather sad He found out the Wreck And he said, "What the heck!" "Here's a great place for me to be BAD!"

He had an unlimited budget He had almost limitless time He asked lots of frivolous questions He wasted some good people's time

If a troll is a duck Then he walked like a duck And he quacked like a duck But he's really a **** Something that rhymes

Oh, the Wreck this dude truly did haunt He would bray, he would cry, he would taunt He got folks in a lather With all of his blather This old rec-dot-norm dilletante

I for one have grown tired of BAD His presence here makes me feel sad And long for the old days And all of the "Just Say's" The witty repartees When even on bad days Reading the Wreck made me glad

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Had a similar experience I need to share. About a week ago, I was framing up the north wall of the workshop and when I was hammering in the top plate I missed the nail and almost hit my thumb! As I was using a 28oz Estwing at the time, you can imagine the shivers I got as I saw a dent in the 2X4 and realized how much damage I could have done!! Yessiree, being careful is the name of this tune!!!

How could that have happened you ask? Well the theories are many, but I really believe I probably swung wide of the nail. It could have been a momentary attention lapse on my part, or it could have been a shift in the wind direction, causing just enough refraction in my swing that the hammer head missed the nail. Did I mention it was an Estwing? Got it at Lowe's several years ago for about $29. Been a great hammer. Had to give up that Stanley I was using, it just couldn't take the abuse, and besides it vibrated. I called Stanley about it, but they said it was "supposed" to vibrate. Yeah right! I didn't believe them for a minute, but no matter how many times I called customer service they inSISted hammers vibrate. Well, that did it. I went out and bought an Estwing. I knew that since they were lots of money they had to be good, and boy I've never looked back. Sure, it vibrates, too, but it's a MAZing how much better 29 dollar vibrations feel than cheapie Stanley vibrations do. So, good vibration's the name of this tune.

Anyway when I missed the nail I put a really big dent in the top plate. I hope I didn't impringe the integrity of the top 2X4, does anybody here know if I have to replace the top 2X4? Will I have to replace them all??? I hope not. I may have to call Canfor and complain about how easy their 2X4's dent. I don't think I should have to put up with inferior wood. I think maybe it wasn't the wood's fault though. It was probably the hammer. I need a better one. Do they make them more than $29? Do they make 2X4s that don't dent? Maybe oak or ash or do they make nails with bigger heads so they still get hit when the wind blows (?) with a more money hammer? Really want to know. Only want the best. Does anyone here have any REAL exprerience with this and not just your unbromided opinions?

So, after I calmed down from that near fatal hammerheadmissthenailthing, I hammered another nail close to where the first one was because the first nail jumped OUT of the hole it was started in. It fell IN the dirt! I had to use another nail! It was okay though because I had another one. WHEW, that(!) was lucky. I'm wondering though, can anyone here tell me if I should make sure to plug that first hole? I'm sure you can understand how important it is that the sturtctural integity not be imfamized in the construction here. Strentgth is the name of this tune. So, if ANYbody knows, let me know. Oh, I almost forgot. I nailed the second one in about

3/8ths of an inch away from where the first one ((would have) gone if it had gone(!)) but it didn't. So does that make a difference? It probably doesn't but maybe does. Does ANYONE know? I want to make sure that it's strong and stuff. What kind of filler do you use? I could make a dowel the exact size of the nail shaft part thing with some vernereal calipers I got from Lee at Robin Valley, but I'm not sure there accurate enough. Okay. Cool. I just ordered the next size up! They have GREAT customer service. They were way more money but it's important because quality is the name of this time. I wonder why they don't sell Estwings. Maybe they do! Does anyone know? Should I glue the dowel into the hole? I'm pretty concerned about wood movement, wood being natural and stuff. I think I'll just glue the top part that goes in the top part and let the rest float. I read about float, does anyone know? Is regular glue OK? How about Gorilla glue? I'll need gloves for that though right? OK! Cool. I just ordered up a case of gloves. I know 144 gloves is a lot, but money's no object is the name of this tune and I MIGHT, (I say might, not definetly but might miss), a NAIL like I did last week. I'll need more gloves if I do, so I have them now. At least I will. Does anyone know the number for the tracking thing for FEdEX? I had them shipped overnight because prompt is the name of this time. I set my Estwing down and it's dark now and I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is?
Reply to
Michael Baglio

How did the corn come out Dave?

Reply to
Rumpty

Naaa - I'm still hacked off about the time I saw'd thru the aluminum fence on my miter gauge. A "cast the first stone" situation...

Reply to
mttt

Head chief miscreant reporting for duty. For some gawdawful reason, the subject header caused a song by Britney Spears to jump into my head. And now I'm left with the image of Brain AWOL Dave bumping and grinding around the shop with a bad belly ring, slicing up his power cords.

Dave, If you aren't in the habit of completely replacing (or at least shortening - eliminating the damaged portion) power cords you've damaged, irrespective of the creative method used to damage said power cord, then you really are an idiot with a death wish.

I repeat - if you use a damaged power cord, you are inarguably stupid (or perhaps just unbelievably ignorant). No ifs ands or buts. Electrical tape is an unsulator, and not intended as protection against abrasion, pinching or other kinds of stress that the flexible outer cord is designed to protect against (sorry bh). Power cords have usage ratings, electrical tape does not. All sorts of contaminants can get under the tape and further damage the conductive insulation, resulting in fire or death... perhaps even death by fire. Not a pretty sight.

Wake up and smell the turpentine, Dave. You don't have, "a great respect for 'lectricity." Look, shit happens in a shop, and we cut things we don't intend to. If we're lucky, we survive with no damage to bodily parts and live to tell about it. If we're smart, we change the way we do things. If we're funny, we post about it on rec.norm and everyone has a good laugh.

Apparently, if we're Dave, we compound the accident by employing a dumbass hatchet-job repair to something we allegedly respect. Sorry if this post had too much slime in it, such that you were unable to find the pearl of wisdom, Dave. But someone reading it might assume it's ok to patch a damaged cord with electrical tape. It ain't.

As annoying as you appear, I doubt anyone on the NG would want to see you appear in this year's Darwin Awards, even as an honorable mention.

O'Deen

Reply to
Patrick Olguin

"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" It fell IN the dirt! I had to use another nail! It was