Woodworkers Mecca?

There are places that woodworkers hope to visit before they die, preferably long before they die so there's time to make some pieces based on inspirational/stolen ideas.

For the Greene & Greene / Arts & Crafts aficionados I'm guessing it's the Gamble House in Santa Barbara, California. (is it just me or were these guys just Control Phreaks?)

you have QuickTime definitely check out the "360 Virtual Tour")

For The Followers of Krenov it's the College of the Redwoods and environs

there's the enthusiastic teacher's school and at least five ways to make just about anything you can think of.

the Artists in Nature - The Anderson Ranch

the Closest To the Wood - George Nakashima

of course - Sam Maloof's place

woodworking holy sites and what woodworker holy men would you like to get to before becoming tree food?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

The Gamble house, along with its big brother, the R.R. Blacker House, are located in Pasadena, not Santa Barbara.

Reply to
John L. Poole

I haven't been there (yet) but sjhould Colonial Williamsburg, VA be on the list?

Reply to
fredfighter

Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum (Edison Institute) a machinery lover's heaven.

Reply to
George

The village is NBD compared to others around the country, but the museum is a real jewel.

Plan on spending a full 8 hour day if you really want to see things.

There is plenty for the ladies as well as the guys.

A little tip:

A winter visit to the museum is not as crowed and a great way to spend a gloomy Dearborn day indoors.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Gillette Castle in East Haddam, CT From I-95N or S: take Exit 69. Route 9N to Exit 6 or 7. For the Chester-Hadlyme Ferry, use Exit 6. Follow Route 148 and park signs. The ferry operates spring through fall.

didn't realize what it was until shortly before I left the area for the last time:-( Definitely worth a visit or twelve. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Charlie B:

out the Thorsen House - one of the G&G houses. It's a university frat house, but to be part of the fraternity, you have to commit to maintain the historical elements. They have done a great job.

But you know that Krenov doesn't teach there anymore. Right? From what I overheard in a local art gallery, they're having difficulties filling benches because of that fact.

As to new places:

1) How about Gustav Stickley's house! It's in NJ and info can be found at:

Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesins (both the Wisconsin and Arizona schools of architecture.

In the same vein, FLW's studio/house in Oak Park, near Chicago.

And while he'll never have a tour - Norm Abram's place - New Yankee Workshop:

Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

south of SB. If in Berkley check

Reply to
brentdelf

Reply to
Doug Brown

from the school

charlie b

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: SNIP

kids meet Mrs. Claus

RayV

RayV:

there is no workshop. Stickley had a NYC office and road the train into NYC from NJ on a daily basis. The property is about 1/3 of what it use to be, it's now cut by the highway. The house is very nice with a lot of original pieces.

I found it to be very enjoyable visit.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

I saw a single piece of his in the Highland Gallery in Mendocino which the town south of Fort Bragg where the school is.

Cost $10,000.

I was there a couple of months ago and it's gone. I'd imagine most of his stuff is in private hands and won't be on display at all.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace