5/4 Redwood Pricing

Greetings,

I am in the process of disposing of some 5/4 x 12 redwood. I have a buyer, but I am having trouble setting a price, a fair price. I have done a couple of quick searches for information with no success. Any information as to where I might find some pricing info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Noel

Reply to
Noel Grove

Lumber is priced very differently in different locales.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I called a place in MA and they were getting $6.70 IIRC. Might have been $7.60. I used cypress.$3.25 Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Redwood varies a great deal based on; your proximity to the Pacific Northwest, old growth vs newer farm grown, (very tight grain vs wide fast growth rings) and cut and quality.

In CA it ranges from 3.50 bf to 20.00 bf.

Dave

TeamCasa

snipped-for-privacy@motorola.com (Noel Grove) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

There are all kinds of grades of redwood. Some doesn't even make particularly good lot line fences. Some is spectacular, with tight, even grain and beautiful color.

Old, straight and dry is premium stock, where ever you are. The best available now is probably reclaimed and remilled, old growth. There was an activity some years ago reclaiming piers used for rail trestles in the Great Salt Lake, made of redwood harvested 140+ years ago. The heartwood was still spectacular. The footings of the east span of the Oakland SF Bay Bridge are extremely long, large diameter redwood logs. Engineers tell us the wood is still perfectly serviceable for that purpose. We taxpayers are spending billions for a new span to upgrade the design for seismic reasons, not because the materials have worn out.

A favorite old family picture shows my great Grandpa Bishop, in the early days of Mendocino County, CA, dragging redwood logs by mule team down to the port, for shipping by coastal schooner to San Francisco. That wasn't an easy life, by any means.

If you have a lot of the wood, or some fiduciary duty to maximize the value of the sale, then the price matters, and I can't help. But if it's a more modest amount, I think I'd worry more that the wood was going to be used with respect, by a careful, thoughtful craftsperson.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Thanks to all for your replies. Now to answer some questions, and provide some information I neglected in my first post. I am located in Central Illinois. All of this redwood is clear and straight. It was used as shelving so some of it has one edge that has been routed. I know that will most likely lower the price. It has all been inside a climate controlled environment since it was purchased. It is in varying lengths ranging from 6' to 16' with the majority of it in the 6-1/2' to 8' range. There is not enough demand in this area for any of the supply houses to be interested in the 900 lineal feet(close to 900 BF) I have.

Thanks again for your infomration.

Noel

Reply to
Noel Grove