Pricing question.

Once again, I find myself turning to the professionals for answers.

I have recently been approached and asked if I would finish a door with two sidelights. The builder ordered the door without finish for a house he is building but has run out of time. He will supply all the materials I request for the 7-foot door (including the sidelights) and wants me to do the hands-on work. It is made of knotty poplar and anyway I look at it, the job will probably take four coats (sealer, stain, two topcoats) to complete. Since I do not have an HVLP system, I will using a brush (with ample amounts of Floetrol--or similar product).

I recently read (within the past 2-3 months) an article in one of my monthly magazines (it MAY have been Fine Woodworking, but I am unable to put my hands on it) that described a process for finishing outdoor projects with some kind of new epoxy lacquer. According to the article, this stuff is the greatest stuff yet for anything exposed to the sun. . .like this door will be.

Your help with (a) a fair price to charge for the work and (b) the site of the article regarding the finishing process mentioned above is TRULY appreciated.

Dick Pewthers Lake Travis, TX

Reply to
Dick Pewthers

(clip)

(clip)

Dick, the article was titled "A Durable Outdoor Finish" and was in the FWW October 2005 issue (#179). The finish consists of a thin, penetrating 2-part epoxy sealer called "MultiWoodPrime" and made by Smith & Company. This was followed by a spar varnish top coat.

Don't know about pricing. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob in NC

I don't have any experience with the epoxy sealer, it may very well hold up to exterior exposure better than other applications. I'd like to know more about this sealer.

I don't have much confidence in the spar varnish topcoat holding up, long term, if exposed to direct sunlight. I've used tung oil and Water-Lox (marine finishes) for the limited exteriors I've worked with/on.

As per price, charge by the hour. If your experience is lacking in this area, don't charge a normal hourly rate .... reduce your hourly rate a bit.

Reply to
Sonny

Epoxy is not UV durable. The spar varnish is to protect the the epoxy. Once it breaks down, the epoxy will also. Doesn't sound like a particularly clever system.

Reply to
Toller

I recently redid (strip and refinish) a 9 foot 36 inch door for a customer. I did it in my shop and charged 750.00 I called around and found that to be a fair price for Dallas. I use the best outdoor finish i could find at the time. The customer like the job and had me do 2 other doors. I garantee my work for at least as long as the manufacturer does there product. The 2 rules to follow in construction ( I can,t see it from my house and It's good enough for the girls I go with) Seriously Get the best finish you can find and do the best job you can. CALL LOCAL SHOPS FOR PRICING AND CHARGE WHAT IS COMPARABLE! Don't undercut the people making a living at this. I am sure you would not like them doing you job for cheap. Most important is to stand behind your work a satisfy the customer.

Tom Peters Quinlan TX

Reply to
Tom P

Which was what?