a question for the professionals

If you're working in someone's home & you find that they've done some DIY that is functional but incompetently done how do you deal with it?

Are you polite or condescending? Do you make fun of their lack of skills or simply offer advice on how the work could have been done properly?

Reply to
usenet2012

Neither, I would kill their firstborn, steal their wife and move in next door.

You may call me

Reply to
Herod Picky

If you think it's dangerous, or may lead to problems, say something - if it's not, shut up. Definitely don't mock them!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Unless you're Basil Fawlty, of course.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No he didn't ask how Adam would deal with the situation

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just say "I see what you've done, that bit looks great but this other bit I'd have done slightly differently" and offer to show them how a tradesman would do it. People love getting what they see as "tips" from a "proper" tradesman. If you say "you've done a good job with that bit but let me share a little tip with you - here's how I did mine", he'll be eating out of your hand.

A man's DIY is like a woman's cooking; you can't mock or criticise it, you just have to compliment what they did right, and try to guide them in the right direction with what they did wrong. In the woman's case, this can take many years and several visits to A&E.

You probably already know how he'll take it, if it's likely to go badly then just ignore it, it's not your house after all so you don't have to live with bits falling off it :)

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I would just let them pay me for the work I had done.

Reply to
ARW

You don't say anything - if they've done it themselves, they won't like being criticised and they invariably think you're touting for work, which gives them the impression you can't get work any other way. If someone else has been paid to do the work, you keep your mouth shut or it *will* come back and bite you on the arse

Reply to
Phil L

I don't deal with it. It isn't any of my business, unless in order to justify what I need to do I have to explain the shortcomings of the existing work.

Well obviously you don't make fun, and you aren't condescending. Good grief.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

DIY is one thing, but what happens if it's another tradesman that is doing the work while you are there? Say nothing you say? Probably good advice.

But, what if it's an electrician who is wiring the network points that you will be using to make your kit work?

What if he is using alarm or telephone cable instead of CAT5?

What if he is using CAT5 but just daisy-chaining all the sockets together?

Now you say something? yes?

Reply to
Graham.

Sometimes you're in a trap: a mate had a bike shop and one customer came in for a new tube. My mate noticed that a brake cable was frayed and told the customer. Reaction was along the line of touting for work and a refusal. Couple of days later the customer came in swearing and blaming my mate for not replacing the cable!

Reply to
PeterC

That's just called being a dick. No cure for that, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

My god. Someone actually said something sensible on Usenet!

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

So what do you do instead - take photos when they're not looking, and post links to them here so that we can all have a good laugh?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Exactly the same as you do when working in the house and a 'domestic' situation arises between the 'warring' parties - keep big trap shut and ignore the situation - otherwise you end up inflaming the situation and you become the target.

Reply to
Cash

Yes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

From a conversation of 2010

A far bigger shame that John, the editor, passed away a short while ago.

Yes. Has anyone got access to the Times obit of I think 8th Sept? I missed it. I assume it's behind The Times' paywall. Or does anyone have any other details? Does anyone have contact details for the loyal Tessa? I'd like to have a chat.

John was the editor for the whole of the time I wrote for the mag, from the seventies until the end. My first article came about because I wrote a slightly critical letter about an article that had appeared in the mag. To my astonishment John wrote back and said in a very kindly way that if I thought I could do better I should prove it! Luckily I had a typewriter recently obtained via Green Shield Stamps, so off I guz.

John was a terrific bloke to write for. He was a real gent.

When the magazine bit the dust he told me how he felt he'd been ill- treated. He was quite bitter.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Recently I've been working on an extension. A really good quality finish by all who were working on it. Then the householder decided he'd like to fit the kitchen units himself. With some help, he got the base units in. Then he had to joint the worktop. He asked if I had my router, "no, but leave it until tomorrow, and I'll do it for you" He wouldn't wait a day, so placed the worktop on top of the units, got his handsaw out, and cut the worktop to the size he thought right.

3 people working there at the time tried to explain that he should wait until the next day when I'd do it. He carried on. Of course, the cut was as rough as f*ck, and worse, there was a 3mm gap where the non-existent joint should have been. He said he'd fill the gap with silicone. It looks awful, and 3 weeks later, the gap was still there. We didnt say anything to him, but once he was out, we all said what a f'ing idiot he is.

He also didnt want me to fit the lights in the bathroom, as he could fit the downlights himself. I left a batten fitting, and said to take the feed from that. A week later when I had to go back, I noticed he'd put a downlight hole halfway through a joist. I said we'd better get some 3x2" support on the joist as it would be weak now, he said don't bother as he knows where it is and he wont walk on it when he is in the loft.

Telling him he is an idiot and shouldnt be allowed near a drill would not help, and trying to guide him to a better way of doing it wouldnt help, so you just have to leave them to get on with it.

Reply to
A.Lee

Depends whether there is danger involved. If there is, then you have to say something, if not,well... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Point out it's fecking dangerous as it is.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon