Question about AMT mortise attachment

Folks, before my father passed away, he had purchased an AMT mortise attachment for his drill press, a 3/8" mortise chisel and drill bit, and some sort of fence attachment. Unfortunately, I do not have any instructions on how these may work together. Does anyone know, or perhaps can point me to a website where I may obtain instructions on how to attach the mortise attachment to the drill press? The fence I can figure out, it looks as though it has two round arms that would hold the work in at the fence for support, but I'm not sure how to attach and adjust the drill attachment, nor how to adjust properly the chisel/bit combination. Thanks so much in advance, Richard

Reply to
Richard

Here is the link to Delta's model. Maybe it will help.

Reply to
Tom H

Hi Richard:

I have the same drill press/mortising attachment from the now defunct AMT.

I posted a pdf of the instruction sheet in ABPW. Sorry about the large file size!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Richard,

The Delta manual should help you understand how to set it up, but do be careful with that chisel. As far as I know, AMT was the only manufacturer whose chisels are 3/4" where they attach to the chisel holder. Everybody else's were/are 5/8". I don't know where you'd ever get another.

HB

Henry Q. Bibb

Thanks so much, Lou, but what is ABPW? Please let me know so that I may download your instruction sheet, thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

It is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking which we are supposed to use for posting larger files like pictures etc. If your internet provider doesn't carry it, I guess I could "sneak" it in here.

Let me know.

:-)

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Lou, I found some woodworking pictures on xusenet, but there were like ~900 pictures there. How would I be able to know which one has your document? If you post it here, I will download it and you may delete it thereafter, or please let me know how I might be able to retrieve it from xusenet, thanks so much! By the way, I did download the delta instructions, but I don't think that I have all the parts that are listed in the Delta pdf file. I have the chisel holder that gets attached to the drill press, the chisel and drill bit, and the fence. I wasn't real clear on how to attach the chisel holder to the drill press, and I have no alignment pin, as is illustrated in the delta file, but I suppose that I could just put a drill bit into the jacobs chuck, to align it. At any rate, thanks for all your help, Richard

Reply to
Richard

Here it is Richard...

Lou

Reply to
loutent

| In article , | Richard wrote: | || Thanks so much, Lou, but what is ABPW? Please let me know so that || I may download your instruction sheet, thanks, Richard || | | It is alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking | which we are supposed to use for posting | larger files like pictures etc. If your | internet provider doesn't carry it, I guess | I could "sneak" it in here.

Ouch! More warning please, so I can at least tell my poor, brain-dead client to ignore additions to the thread.

BTW, only parts 0, 1, 2, and 5 made it through news.qwest.net

Morris Dovey

If you can sort on date and/or title (ATM/mortise.pdf) maybe that would help.

I could also e-mail it to you if you want me to (at least I think I can).

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Lou, please email it, if possible, to snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org. Thanks so much!

Reply to
Richard

I just sent it.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Reply to
Richard

I'm glad you finally got it. FWIW, I paid around $250 for the floor model AMT drill press and $35 for the mortise attachment. This was about 15 years ago.

A couple of years ago, I finally sprung for a delta bench top mortiser, so I don't use the drill press for that task anymore. The 3/4 inch shank makes getting chisels & bits too difficult for the AMT.

Good luck!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Lou, I was thinking about perhaps some sort of bushing that could be used to bush it from 3/4 to 5/8" Wouldn't that work? Thanks again, Richard

Reply to
Richard

Ok Richard, I've had a glass or two of wine, but even at that, I don't think that you can bush anything from 3/4 (12/16) to 5/8 (10/16).

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Well, Lou, I removed the drill stop collar from the Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, and the mortise attachment fits on the quill precisely! Now the next thing that I need to do is put something into the chuck, in order to help center the mortise attachment, then replace that with the drill bit and the chisel, and it looks as though I might be in business!

If I used a bushing that was 1/16" thick, wouldn't that work? :-) Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

Might be hard for a shaft, but it's pretty easy for a hole....

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses