Woopecker's PRL problem and solution.

This is info for those owning the Woodpecker's PRL.

I have had the PRL since Dec 2002. The elevation system has operated smoothly, if a little snug, until recently. Saturday it got to the point that I had to use quite a bit of force to turn the handle. I removed the PRL from the table and loosened the chain adjuster to determine what part was binding. I found the drive sprocket to be the culprit. It was tight where it protruded through the surface plate. I disassembled the sprocket attaching hardware, making sure the chain and other sprocket did not move. I had to use a socket wrench and mallet to get the sprocket out of the plate. I put the sprocket on a 3/8" tee handle hex wrench and chucked it in my drill press. I used a piece of emory cloth and a block of wood to sand the journal so it slides in the plate with no resistance. I only had to sand about 2 or 3 thousandths off of it.

I think the sprocket was a little snug to start with and operating it over time may have produced enough heat to expand it. It works even easier and smoother now than when it was new.

Incidentally, I found that using a speed handle and 3/8" hex socket wrench works better that the crank supplied with the PRL.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

Good posting. However, you could help the group by defining PRL (Precion Router Lift" and spelling Woodpecker correctly. That way when we do searches your informative post will come up. Most people would never thing to search on Woopecker or PRL.

Sorry for the nit-picking....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Sorry for the minor mistake, but don't criticize other people's spelling then spell precision "precion" and use "thing" instead of "think". Hav a gud dae.

defining PRL

That way when

people would

has

bit

part

culprit.

plate. I

sure

wrench

emory

slides

about 2

when

hex

the

Reply to
Frank K.

Sorry for the horrible mistake.

has

part

2

hex

the

Reply to
Frank K.

I, for one knew what you meant, Frank, if it's any consolation. In fact I have a 16 TPI PRL. Love it. One time when I took it out of the table and removed the 7518, the first time I went to use it again I couldn't adjust the height. Somehow it got tweaked when I re-installed the router. I loosen it up, retightened it again, and it's been fine ever since. I'm glad I didn't get the 32 TPI version, because I'm the impatient type; I use a cordless drill to adjust the PRL's height. The reason I bought the PRL instead of the it's top competitor was that there is WAAAAY too much backlash in the adjustment mechanism, even though they tout it as having none. (Never trust a salesman when you can see for yourself that what he's claiming is as bunch of hooey.) The competition uses a belt instead of a chain. Had they used a true zero-backlash arrangement like the PRL, I would have bought it because it is a much beefier unit.

dave

Frank K. wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I just re-read my post. Just ignore the extra words. I must be having consecutive brain freezes tonight.

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote: The

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have the 32 TPI, Dave. I bought it before the 16 TPI came out. I sometimes use a cordless drill only to raise the router to change bits. Before I found and fixed the problem, I used a 3/8" Milwaukee corded drill and spray silicone to try to loosen it up. It was so tight, I almost smoked the drill. I could smell it. I like the PRL for the same reason as you. Incidentally, Woodpecker is sending me another sprocket to have as a spare, should this happen again.

Frank

the

been

version,

WAAAAY

bunch

chain.

unit.

bit

culprit.

plate.

sure

wrench

emory

slides

about

when

Reply to
Frank K.

can't beat their warranty huh? (Lifetime, on my router table, cabinet, PRL, Twin Linear...)

dave

Frank K. wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Ouch -- I deserve that.

My complaint is that your posting, which I complimented you on, will not show up in searches because the valuable keywords are misspelled. Some words are more important than others. I don't care a diddley if you misspell all the words except for those that one migh want to search for, like router lift or woodpecker.

gud deigh tou yu tou.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Your point was taken. That's why I corrected the header.

Cheers

you on, will

misspelled.

diddley if

want to

message

correctly.

Most

system

the

what

use

the

and

than

3/8"

with

Reply to
Frank K.

I have a 32tpi unit from spring 2003, and have had the same problem. It was always a bit tight when cranking it. I never used the drill approach as I have never been in that big of a hurry. I only takes a few seconds to raise all the way. Needless to say though, it was getting hard to crank by hand, eventually needing two hands to turn. So I called them, and they were great. I just sent it in and they are going to look at it and get it fixed/replaced. No news yet as it has not arrived back home yet, but I am sure they will make it right.

It is a great unit and I sure hope this is not a recuring problem. The lifetime warranty is sure an extra bonus.

Frank K. wrote:

Reply to
Bob

your watch must be broken if you think it takes just a "few seconds" to raise a 32TPI unit all the way up w/o a drill! :) Try timing it some time.

dave

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I'm sure they will do a good job on it. I emailed Woodpecker's about the problem and asked them to send me a spare drive sprocket. I received it in short order. My repair took about 1/2 hour and I was up and running.

Good luck.

Frank

same problem.

the drill

only takes a

it was

hands to turn. So

they are

as it has

right.

problem. The

has

bit

part

culprit.

plate. I

sure

wrench

emory

slides

about 2

when

hex

the

Reply to
Frank K.

I DEFINITELy am a very impatient person regarding many (not all--some things I have nearly infinite patience with) things. I don't like wasting (by MY definition) my time. For example, I hate waiting in lines, traffic, or waiting to accomplish something that another method would speed up. When it comes to repairing something or solving a problem, I can work on it until it's resolved without feeling impatient. That attitude helped me tremendously while working in the automotive and computer fields.

dave

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

By Tue, 18 May 2004 20:30:57 -0400, "Frank K." decided to post "Re: Woopecker's PRL problem and solution." to rec.woodworking:

Approaching, but not quite reaching 'classic' status. The best I've seen on Usenet was, in the middle of a flame war, OT-1 called OT-2 an "ideot". OT-2 managed to "kurrekt" OT-1, and by the by, called "heem" "to stoopid to leesen to."

The spalling was simply appaling! A coupla maroons! [sic]

/..

Reply to
/..