Subject Author Posted Replies

Joint type to use for 'blind' joint
All, I am making a model display using 3/4" red oak - base is approx. 6" x 7", vertical section is approx. 10" x 7". The upright section is not vertical, it is 15 deg. off vertical i.e., angle from...
12
12

Guitar Making And Brown Paper
Nor I...and he was almost always at John Rice Irwin's fall "Tennessee Homecoming" at Norris (north of Clinton) for the 25+ years we were in the area...along w/ Archie Campbell used to be there until...
16
16

What would be a good moisture meter in the ~$50 range?
I have a Harbor Freight unit. I keep it in my toolbox.. It's pretty accurate. Compares well to my more expensive unit. I was surprised but for $13 I figured I give it a try. I always remove the...
2
2

Review, Harbor Freight Oscillating Multifunction Tool
Finally had an occasion to use my oscillating tool. Cutting 8"x16" holes on the underside of my eaves to create ventilation. 36 total! 3/8 inch plywood boxed eaves. Considered skill saw, saber saw,...
27
27

This gator's got no power (Lowes new sandpaper)
Was low on sanding disks and had to go down to Lowes anyway so figured I'd stock up. Instead of the expected Norton or 3M or other well known brand, I found "Gator Power". Well, I got a pack of 80 and...
20
20

Re-stain over tung oil?
I have an oak armoire that was finished 20 years ago with just Minwax Tung Oil (no stain underneath). It has not been touched, retouched, reapplied, etc. since then. I'd like to give it a dark finish....
33
33

RE: WoodSmith Sale
SFWIW Just received this: determine it's value to YOU. Have fun. Lew http://tinyurl.com/24dvzf2You
2
2

O/T: Toilet Seat
Enjoy Lew ------------------------------ Charlie's wife, Lucy, had been after him for several weeks to paint the seat on their toilet. Finally, he got around to doing it while Lucy was out. After...
3
3

What is it? Set 361
"RogerN" fired this volley in news:JuednYxNGJVxDE_RnZ2dnUVZ It does, yes. But with all the wind-up carousels and rotating reflectors and the big condensor lens, I think it might be a lighting special...
26
26

Just a few thou can ruin a joint.
demonstration of the need for woodworking accuracy.
53
53

Block Planes?
With Christmas coming, I'm thinking I could finally get myself a good block plane. I've seen decent reviews of Veritas's planes, and Lie Nelson is probably too pricey. None of the reviews I've read...
16
16

Brown Paper Bag Final Sanding?
The guy at woodcraft suggested using regular old brown paper grocery bags, instead of 320-400-ish sandpaper, to knock off the raised grain after staining. Well, I just tried it and it seemed to do a...
43
43

New House/Shop becoming a reality
those are the ones we keep. we throw the rest back. all my neighbors have horses or burros/donkeys, which are bigger, smellier, and except for dawn when it's feeding time, usually much quieter than...
87
87

Finally - cooling off in the desert
It's finally cool enough to get back into the shop: TODAY SUNNY. HIGHS 89 TO 94. EAST WIND 10 TO 15 MPH. TONIGHT CLEAR. LOWS 50 TO 60. EAST WIND 5 TO 15 MPH. THURSDAY SUNNY AND BREEZY. HIGHS 85 TO 90....
7
7

Vise mounting query?
I have a 12" Record vise that I'm going to be mounting on my 1-3/4" thick maple laminated work bench. I'd like to mount the vise flush with the front, left side of the bench. To permit this location...
7
7