Vise mounting query?

I have a 12" Record vise that I'm going to be mounting on my 1-3/4" thick maple laminated work bench. I'd like to mount the vise flush with the front, left side of the bench. To permit this location for mounting, the metal legs on the left side of the bench will have to be mounted just to the right of the vise. Essentially, the vise will be hanging off the cantilevered part of the work bench. The vise weighs in at upwards of 50 lbs.

Here's my question. Is it likely that the weight of the vise will cause the cantilevered part of the work bench to bend, sag, or otherwise deform in some way? If so, might I be able to prevent such an occurrence with some sort of bracing?

Reply to
Upscale

I assume you are referring to a machinists vice. I have a big one that I use too infrequently to have it mounted on the workbench full time. It gets in the way. I screwed a steel bracket to the bottom of my workbench that the vice is bolted to. I keep the vice under the workbench now and only set it up when I need it. Only takes a couple of minutes.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

I've been inspired. The thing is in the way much more than I use it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

And the work weighs more. Can you block up the tabletop, and put the legs under the vise instead of alongside, just cut a channel in the blocking to pass the mechanism? Most metal legs like you describe can be length-adjusted. Otherwise, I'd consider moving the vise closer to the center and avoid the cantilever.

Alternately, if you can fix the bench to the wall or floor somehow, you can be sure it won't tip (which would be worse than flexing).

Reply to
whit3rd

Not possible, the legs are the Lee Valley fixed height ones B model wich will interfere with the vise mechanism if they are mounted anywhere near it. Guess I can jury rig some sort support poles to the left of the vise. Maybe many people don't use their metal vises much, but I'd certainly use mine. The weight of it precludes me putting it on when needed and taking it off when not.

Alternately, if you can fix the bench to the wall or floor somehow,

Still not possible. Wall behind the bench is bare minimum sheetrock wall used as a simple devider and not something I can remove or modify.

Reply to
Upscale

A lot of folks around here won't accept that sort of answer. They won't be satisfied until they have inspired you to work to higher levels! : ) Maybe you have a wall in desperate need of total rebuilding and are just in a state of denial? ; ) J/K, of course.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Wish that was true for me. The bench currently lives in my rented apartment living room butted up against the single bedroom wall. I'm pushing the status quo as it is where I'll be doing the occasional noise making construction. Been looking for some place to rent as a workshop for well over ten years (need wheelchair accessible) and have yet to find something even remotely usable.

Reply to
Upscale

Upscale wrote: : I have a 12" Record vise that I'm going to be mounting on my 1-3/4" thick : maple laminated work bench. I'd like to mount the vise flush with the front, : left side of the bench. To permit this location for mounting, the metal legs : on the left side of the bench will have to be mounted just to the right of : the vise. Essentially, the vise will be hanging off the cantilevered part of : the work bench. The vise weighs in at upwards of 50 lbs.

: Here's my question. Is it likely that the weight of the vise will cause the : cantilevered part of the work bench to bend, sag, or otherwise deform in : some way? If so, might I be able to prevent such an occurrence with some : sort of bracing?

I doubt it's going to do anything like this -- your bench top is almost 2" of maple, and that's quite sturdy. If you really want to know I guess you try the Sagulator:

quickly checked a couple species of maple, and put in numbers for a

36" span, 50 lb center load, which I *think* corresponds to your 50 lb. vise sitting 18" away from the metal legs. It doesn't seem to produce any noticble deflection, but double-check.

But honestly, I bet you could put 300 lbs on the edge of the bench and not cause deflection.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss