3D Printing

Fake, or something useful...

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

The "printing" of solid objects has been around for a while. This seems to be many levels above though. While it seems impossible to do, so was the box that sits in your living room with the guy inside entertaining you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As said they have been around for a while, however remember these are not working units. While the wrench looked like the real thing, it was only a non working model.

Reply to
k-nuttle

Did you not see him adjust the wrench and tighten a nut with it???

Reply to
Leon

No common scanner will show the axle on which the adjuster turns. Industrial x-ray will. Maybe they touched up the scan to show the hidden parts before feeding it to the printer. If so they glossed over this.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Leon, did you notice the differences in the wrench scanned and the one printed?

This one of a wooden statue is a more believable:

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

Jay Leno has a 3-D printer and loves it.

print, and cast from the printed article. Cool.

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

After viewing Jay Leno's video, 3D scanning would be something useful. Check out

Cool indeed!

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

So what am I? Chopped liver?

Reply to
Zz Yzx

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well actually and as you pointed out, nothing was common about that set up.

Reply to
Leon

Powdered egg and sausage in print cartridges and you can order breakfast over the Internet.

Or a, fully working, model of Ashley Judd, maybe?

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah!

Reply to
Leon

Okay... I'll bite... where would the sausage go?

Reply to
Robatoy

In the general vicinity of where you'd be biting ... just follow your chin, or nose depending upon your orientation.

Reply to
Swingman

LOL!

Reply to
Robatoy

has designs for hobbyists that will print copies of itself (or most of it), among other things.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I have a Makerbot Thing-o-Matic. Very real. I'm building a 3D scanner, so I will soon have a 3D photocopy system...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I just bought an add-on to my 3D printer that will allow printing in fondant or royal icing (wedding cake toppers?), peanut butter, liver sausage (doggie birthday cakes) or any paste that can be extruded...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I fantasized, and had a recurring dream, as a six year old in 1949, that one day I would own a book that had all the books in the world on it and I could read it without turning pages.

The eBook is now a common item.

Over 40 years ago, when first introduced to digital computers, I fantasized that one day I could digitize all my prized "stuff" and store them on a computer, instead of on a shelf.

Seems like that is also coming to pass ...

It's great to be around to see these dreams/fantasy's come true.

ITMT,think I'll keep fantasizing/dreaming.

Ashely Judd, I'm waiting ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman