3D Printing

Crikey, yer ancient! ('53 vintage here)

And don't you love it? I love it when science fiction and fantasy come to life. I'm extremely impatient waiting for my Mr. Fusion-powered DeLorean, though.

See above.

Like dating the Felker (names changed to protect the innocent) -twins- together one night during my 15th year.

She and Diane Lane (the younger) are just the dreamiest, aren't they? (If only Di had nips...)

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What file format will you be able to export? How big an object will you be able to scan?

Reply to
Robatoy

For the printer, export as .stl, and then the printer s/w converts to gcode for output. I'm not about other formats at this point, as I'm still acquiring the pieces I need and haven't looked at the software (Meshlab).

According to the documentation "Meshlab is capable of exporting the watertight mesh into a variety of file formats such as .STL, .OBJ, .PLY, .3DS and .U3D among others. This makes it a great tool for converting your mesh into a format that can be imported into a 3D modeling program such as 3D Studio Max, Silo 3D, Blender or to integrate your file into .PDF file using Adobe Acrobat 9."

As for size I think "that depends". I've seen sample scans of people's heads, and from the waist up.

The kit I'm playing with is "experimental".

You can follow the links from here if you weant to poke around and see what other folks have been doing with it.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone