Subject Author Posted Replies

Easing the edges
To ease over straight edges, simply clamp a piece of sandpaper to your bench and pass the edge over the paper, changing the angle each time. Three or 4 passes later, and you've got a simple eased...
15
15

What is it? Set 425
This week's set has been posted:
24
24

Ripping a bunch of boards; they bow away from the saw, now what?
I have about forty 15/16" thick soft maple boards that are about 6 feet long. I need to rip them into 1 1/2" wide strips. They have been rough planed to this thickness and that finish is good enough...
20
20

Keeping busy. Sorta OT maybe?
Beatty, the sign artist, used my carving as a substrate. 1-1/2" SignFoam. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/PlymptonBeatty.jpgDavid
8
8

Ping - Basilisk - Re: Alabama Tornados
Hey, Basilisk, how you making out with those recent tornados. Hope all is well with you and relatives/friends. You were 15 miles from the previous bad ones and the recent ones went through the same...
13
13

Sliding compound miter saws.
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like? I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!
103
103

FA: Measurement tools, taps, dies, drill bits and other tools
We're putting a bunch of tools up for auction this week from the estate of a machinist who was trained in Germany prior to WWII. Some of this is old-school, some of it is more recent. A lot are...
1
1

Clever chair -> stepstool transformation
Just an idea I found cute... Pic http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2814319253.html
5
5

Dial indicator with magnetic base
I went to the WoodWorking Shows this weekend. Roland Johnson, from FWW, was recommending a tool like in the subject line (none in particular) for doing TS set-up. I would like to use it to measure...
86
86

Router bit sought
I'm looking for a bit that I can use with a free form template to rout a 1/8 inch deep dado. I know I can use a standard template guide, but that requires me to offset my template which, in turn,...
8
8

Chain Saw Lathe
Check this out. The chain saw supplies the power to spin the post while cutting it. At about 4:30 into the video he shows how he uses a weighted board to slow the post down so the chainsaw will cut...

Ash
It's been ages since I did a piddlin' little bit of work with some ash scraps. As I recall, it's about as dense as red oak or maple, and cuts similarly. Any peculiarities of ash that I should know...
14
14

Opinions: Lumber Lok Tri-Vise
Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes. Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a foot on it, and cut. I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy...
6
6

Problem with nail gun funny video
Hi All, I am sure that some of you have seen this video before, but since there is new talk about problems with nail guns I threw this one back in. See:
2
2

Speaking of nail guns ...
I have a Stanley bostich bt200 18 gauge brad mail gun. I had a bad nail jab a few years ago and ever since it leaks air out the exhaust in the handle. I could deal with it as I use the gun very little...
12
12