220 Water Stone Alternate

When I back off (eg-flatten the backs) on my bench plane blades I start with a 220 waterstone the first time. I find most commercial blades have some cup and a lot of material must be removed the first go.

The problem is that the 220 stones I use (Nortons) are quite soft and I can chew through a stone on a few blades. I went back to 120 oil for this step but is is very slow of course. Does anyone solve this problem with some other stone type or a horizontal wet grinder? (Can't use my vertical Delta for backing off)

Thanks, Fritz

Reply to
Fritz

You can reflatten a water stone with a diamond "stone" or a ceramic stone made specifically for that purpose. They are available from many woodworking stores (I use Japan Woodworker). You can also use a second stone of similar grit. I flatten my waterstones with a coarse grit diamond stone produced by DMT. Alternatively, you could use a diamond stone to flatten your bench plane instead of the water stone.

Gary

Reply to
Abby

For stock removal it's hard to beat a coarse diamond stone.

You might also want to take a look at the Harbor Freight Tormek clone

, on which you can use the edge of the wheel for flattening. Note--watch the harborfreightusa site for a coupon and you should be able to get it for 60 bucks or so.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Piece of glass with 220 silicon carbide paper on top

Reply to
dadiOH

Yup. Or scrap of MDF for that matter.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Thanks for all the replies!

Regarding flattening stones, I use a the Norton flattening stone to dress my stones. I think it is carborundum and works well. I expect that I may need the diamond some day for my harder stones. I have dressed my 220 stone and will no longer use it for backing off plane blades. One curious note about flattening one stone off another-I think this naturally results in a concavity-this is basically how telescope mirrors are made.

I certainly like the glass idea with Si carbide paper. I ordered some paper today and will try this. (I have used belt sanders to dress plane soles but never sanded the blades.)

I checked the Harbor Freight catalogue and it indeed has a few interesting machines. Seems like 40 years back there were quite a few sharpening machines at reasonable cost. I was surprised taking a look recently-there are very few machines out there. (Also I was surprised at how many plane makers names no longer appear in the catalogues). I would hate to have to equip my shop today. The Harbor Fright (;->

horizontal sharpener would probably be quite useful for 100 bucks. (didn't know about the coupon thing).

Thanks again- Fritz

Reply to
FS

If you're only using two you get one concave and one convex. If you use three and are careful you can get very, very flat--this is how optical flats are made.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Aha-interesting! Always more to be learned. I work with a lot of optics but I have never made flats. I wonder if anyone has ever sharpened a chisel down to quarter wave (;->

Cheers Fritz

Reply to
FS

...Scary-Sharp works for me, too!