Subject Author Posted Replies

4 gang wall switches
gang??? seems a strange word, but anyhow:- In the kitchen I have 4 light circuits: ceiling, spots, wall lights and cabinet lights worked at the door by a wide quadrupal wall switch on a normal double...
2 weeks ago 11

Inline Extractor Fan
Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around? Think mine are in the middle. :-) I would suggest noise should be the...
2 weeks ago 7

Adding a room thermostat
Currently I have a boiler with a controller that simply turns it on (for CH) during pre-programmed hours. Rads have thermostatic valves. I'd like to add a room thermostat in the living room [running...
2 weeks ago 97

how great were old american cars....
2M 20S. Would have been more interesting to see the Ford hitting the Chevvy at 90 degrees to see how mnay injuries the driver received. Only a dumb yank would try and carry half a ton of cement on the...
2 weeks ago 7

coffee machines choice?
I am considering getting one. there are so many available has anyone any tips on the best, as a reasonable price of course? For filter coffee, pod coffee or espresso they are all quite different? Pods...
2 weeks ago 18

Grease - lubricant for aluminium
This will be external use where one I have one telescopic style of an extension piece, where one box section slides in another, and a swivel joint. So far I was thinking of PTFE grease. I can't find...
2 weeks ago 5

OT: Batteries for the grid - cost
The Aussie battery is around 200MWh and cost around A$90M, which is around £50M, according to Winky. So about 4Wh per £. Now, if we want the grid to run on batteries only for some days, what's the...
2 weeks ago 94

Replacement O rings
Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they had a chart which seemed horribly complicated. Try ebay for...
2 weeks ago 8

Boiler condensate drain
Ideal Logic combi. The mfr's instructions show the combi boiler condensate drain running into a branch waste pipe downstream of any other appliances (bath, basin etc). I understand this is so CO from...
2 weeks ago 3

Assembling Ikea Cabinets
I got to the last part of the assembly of unit no2 and whilst putting on the top a dowel broke through. It pushed a big 'scab' of sawdust wood out. I tried to stick it back with super glue but no...
2 weeks ago 6

Bending jigsaw blades
To cut the Celotex floor insulation into joist gap panels, I bought some of these jigsaw blades which should be good for up to 100mm. the jigsaw is not one of my favourite tools so I have never owned...
2 weeks ago 23

Experience of Tetrion Powerfil 2K Filler
Anyone have hands-on experience with Tetrion Powerfil 2K Filler - good or bad - please? I've run out of Upon, can't get any more locally, and want something easy(ish) to sand.
2 weeks ago

OT: Internet linked devices
These days it seems everything needs to linked to the internet from fridges to toothbrushes, but this must be the most bizarre. Old news I'm afraid, the ladies have had bluetooth vibratios connected...
2 weeks ago 7

Noisy uPVC window cill
When it rains I hear an annoying drip drip from a windowcill. IT is made of a hollow plastic extrusion and the drips really make a loud noise that passes into the lounge. I wondered about filling it...
2 weeks ago 2

Proportion of non- whites to whites in England
Also the UK. Does anyone know if these figures are available, if so where? 80:20 from 2011 census data. <> > <>Thanks Andy it doesn't say 80:20 at all it says 87:13 whilst not making much difference...
2 weeks ago 16