Subject Author Posted Replies

Cleaning zinc alloy
I have a rather ancient carburettor that had some water in the float chamber and is in poor condition. I presume this is a zinc type alloy and would like to remove all of the zinc oxide in the easiest...

OT: how muc span is in UK.d-i-y?
Often 30-50 messages are downloaded by Tbird and instantly deleted by my kill file. I am curious as to who or what all those messages are?
10
10

Is this thing on?
Testing testing 1 2. Well its stuck on 16th Feb for some reason. Brian
2
2

OT: Chat with British Gas
I am trying to see what they offer in terms of different tariffs, per their invitation, but I always get a screen saying that 'there are technical problems'. This has been going on for over a week....
11
11

External pipe supply for shower
To save time raggling in to brickwork and plastering supply pipes. I would like to bring supply in chrome pipes to a thermostatic bar. I presume an angled bar valve fixing kit would do this ? Any...

another linux question
It looks like my ssd is having problems, very occasionally failing to boot into the rootfs and staying in initramfs, reporting discrepancies (widows and orphans), in sda2. Easily sorted but... So I...
18
18

Virus scanner for Linux
Slowly making the move to Linux (Pop!_OS) and one thing I have noticed is that it seems to lack an in-built virus scanner like Windows has. Is there an equivalent? Does it even matter? Does it even...
7
7

Have your TB server u/n and password to hand
I have just had Thunderbird do an update, had it required septembers username and password to be re-entered, after the update. Luckily, some weeks ago, I'd had an email from september, confirming...
9
9

Inserting a picture into an email message
Sounds easy, doesn't it. Well, I can't get it to work! For example, instructions on Lifewire say: Open Thunderbird and select Write to begin a new message. Put the cursor where you want the image to...
12
12

Repair to desk
I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to fix this: 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill...
21
21

To fold or not to fold
Hi, I'm going to be wiring quite a few mains double-sockets shortly. All of them are simply on a ring, with one having a spur. Question is, if there are only two wires entering each terminal, should...
3
3

USB security keys
Anyone got anything good or bad to say about them? Do they work with linux as well as Windows? I don't have a clue about them, but a youtube channel I watch has been hacked twice in a month despite...
12
12

Oiled Wood Worktop
Folks, Oddly I have what I think is an "on-topic" post. I have an oak topped "Peninsula" or bar in my kitchen. Despite being oiled as specified, its started to feel a little rough in places and has a...
11
11

Smart Meters Installed- Octopus
As previously posted, we were scheduled to have Smart Meters installed by Octopus just over a week ago. The installation went very smoothly- the chap was very professional and more than happy to...
26
26

Heat Pumps
My boiler is kettling and needs replacing, it's quite old, supplied by British Gas, and has a flue that goes straight through the wall, some work would be needed to replace it including a new upright...
14
14