Subject Author Posted Replies

Velfac
Any experiences of Velfac windows? My friend has had suggested aluminium external frame and wood internal frame. Good condensation performance?

Emulsion Cost
My sister's having an extension built and is likely to settle on a quote - £140k (inc VAT) fully finished, looks to be about 10m x 5m, 2 storey, 3 rooms and a bathroom. About £25k on a zinc roof...
6
6

Speeding up a stairlift (2023 Update)
Are you saying yours has a 'dead man's handle' and irrespective of that it *also* automatically stops at each end Martin? By that I mean I assumed all of them automatically stopped at each end but...
73
73

drayton digistat scr not turning boiler off (yes off...opposite of everyone else!)
Hi all...help!! So I have a wirless drayton digistat scr connected to a valiant boiler. The thermostat is working (new batteries) and is telling the receiver to turn on and off the boiler. Relay seems...
6
6

"Breeze block"
I was surprised the other day when a tradesman called a concrete block a "breeze block". I always thought (and the dictionary agrees) that a breeze block is a lightweight block made of cinder, not a...
76
76

Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!
Bosch’s new process optimizes thermal management of exhaust temperatures, slashing nitrogen oxide emissions to one-tenth of the legally permitted limit, and doesn’t require new hardware.
124
124

The Maplin website will be closed
I was told this is despite there has been two offers for the company. The last I heard is there is going to be a merger between the Staples and Maplin brands. The demise of the website seems to dispel...
32
32

Dual flush toilet won't refill
We've got an Ideal Standard Space corner toilet with a dual flush system. The flush button broke ? it turns out as a result of the flush plate not being aligned with the button housing. In other...
1
1

vent fan for new half bath construction.
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to chimney. Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is to remove noxious smell from doing #2. Air vent would be 5 inches...
17
17

Trailer. Hub or stud centric wheels?
Hi all, I have been given an old dinghy trailer (with a dinghy on it I'm about to give away ) and before I move it from it's current location I felt I should check the running gear. It was obvious the...
15
15

58w utility room tube
I recently sought opinion on what I should do about the 5 foot 58w T8 magnetic ballast type fitting in my utility room. The problem was that it was switched by an occupancy switch (PIR), to allow...
28
28

Plugging concrete blocks.
Hi, I have a little shelving project where I intend to use a large number of those London shelf brackets along with Contiboard or whatever is supplied these days. My problem is uncertainty in drilling...
15
15

Crazy floating shelf
I was asked to fit a set of three floating shelves someone had bought Very peculiar fitting which seem to have a small expanding metal bit that g oes in the hole in the wall then you screw a threaded...
4
4

Resetting service warning lights
If I go to a Volvo main dealer they'll take me to the cleaners for this I would imagine, based on previous experiences, so I'm determined to do this myself if it's at all possible! Has anyone ever had...
202
202

CO detectors - I really like this one
A heads up for anyone considering buying one, especially landlords. I recently fitted an AICO Ei208 at the Scout Hut and I am so impressed with it that I am going to give it a free advert. It has...
8
8