OT: Banks

I renewed my car insurance today. 2 vehicles with the same insurance company, due within a few days of each other. The insurer will not allow one combined payment, it has to be two separate ones .

Last year the insurer took the first payment, then said the card was declined for the second. After a long drawn out session with the bank's various departments, it transpired that their fraud department only had my landline number and had been trying to phone or send it a text while I was using it trying to pay. I gave the bank my mobile number. This year, exactly the same thing happened. I had to find a different card to use to make the second payment, and eventually had both policies renewed. Between 10 and 15 minutes then passed during which I had time to make a second call to someone else on the landline. Then, on the mobile, a text came in, badly worded, asking me to reply Yes if I had been trying to make a payment. The email suggested I check to see whether the payment had been taken, and said the card was now disabled. The bank website said it didn't do phone calls, just online chat.

After a longish chat, Merveille (what sex, nationality (s)he?) all was confirmed OK and my lunch was going cold.

I know they are trying to stop fraud, but I think I will have to move to a different bank.

Reply to
Bill

Banks always seem to find a way of inconveniencing their customers, whilst allowing fraudsters free reign in the name of 'security'.

The trouble is they're all the same, so moving is just a merry go round.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Then the anti fraud system is badly designed, why should the customer be made to jump through hoops for the banks convenience.

How hard would it be for the system to see these are annual repeat transactions?

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Well, we've been very happy with the Nationwide BS.

Instantly transfer any amount up to £10,000 and, if you need to move more (!) you can do it 5 times a day!

I think that would more than resolve your problems!

We have a current account that also pays interest but we also pay a monthly fee but the free car breakdown and recovery and travel insurance is worth far more than our net payment.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Rubbish.. I have never had a problem paying by card except once when the car salesman put £47000 in when it should have been £4700 to pay. The bank phoned the dealer and asked to speak to me to see what was happening after it was declined and the error corrected.

Its just as well it wasn't the day before as there was enough in there to pay the £47k as I had just had a pension lump sum paid in.

That went out the same day to pay the mortgage off.

Reply to
dennis

obviously they do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Name and shame. Never had a problem like that but quite pleased when Barclaycard queried a recent large atypical transaction where it had taken me three attempts to get the verification code correct.

Reply to
newshound

I've had problems with quite small amounts. They will never, of course, release the algorithm.

I had a card declined because the transaction was "suspicious". What was I doing? Buying about £40 worth of stuff from CPC, which I'd done many, many times before. No other purchases that day, either.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's just plain BS

Reply to
Richard

Not just banks.

it's been four f****ng years since we dumped the landline. And despite repeated attempts to correct a host of agencies (mainly council and NHS related) they're still trying it.

Email ? "What's that ?"

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Was this HSBC? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not *that* impressive that a bank's computer can count past two :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some of us only have one card. Also due to me not having a passport or driving licence, I could not enter into a contract to by a phone just before Christmas. Apple blame Barclays, Barclays blame Apple. I do honestly wonder if anyone lives in the real world with real people any more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nationwide use the same anti-fraud measures as most other banks.

They don't like transactions where the customer is not present and will put a watch on accounts where more than one consecutive non pin transaction occurs.

With online shopping increasing in popularity this is becoming an issue.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Just think it may not be a transaction done by you that has triggered the alert. You may never know if they have stopped a false transaction as well as querying yours.

Reply to
dennis

I rarely go near the BS - virtually everything is done on-line (no camera on this PC!) and they have no idea what my irises look like anyway!

If I use an ATM, it is rarely a Nationwide one, anyway.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Well I don't but if my insurance was coming up for renewal, I'd make sure I renewed it before leaving the country.

All such bills are paid automatically by direct debit, so such a situation should not arise. There's certainly not been a problem in the past.

Reply to
Terry Casey

I certainly only have one card these days (that I actually use). The second is not for use except in emergencies - such as needing fuel miles from home and the primary card not working for some reason.

I also arrange the insurance for both my and my wife's car.

At one stage our insurance dates, while not the same day, were only days apart.

No problems though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker