Subject Author Posted Replies

Moving a consumer unit - a couple of questions
Our house consumer unit is currently on a stud wall in the downstairs loo, we are planning to extend the loo into the adjacent utility room to make a shower room. Thus the consumer unit needs to move,...
7
7

A1 A2 DC Relays?
Where did the assignation come from originally? I'm currently playing with a system that has a 24V DC control panel and every relay has A1 connected to 0V. Not really a problem currently, but a few...
5
5

OT Project Splatter
I heard about on the radio that said badgers were twice as likely to be splatter than foxes. Must be a local thing as I have only ever seen a couple of badgers in my life but lots of foxes. All I have...
70
70

Is this an Access panel in pavement
In the pavement outside our house is a 200mm square concrete "plug" or panel in a pavement slab, probably about 50mm thick. Plug is a courser mix concrete than pavement. It isnt mortared in and I...
4
4

Interlinked smoke alarms - wireless or wired? Recommendations?
The earlier discussions have made me realise that I should consider replacing the stand-alone smoke alarms with interlinked alarms. What opinions are there about wireless or wired interlinking? Any...
32
32

Funicular railway power question
Last year we rode a funicular railway with a single overhead wire and a large bank of resistors on the roof that got very hot when it was descending. I'm guessing that it was a DC motor/generator...
34
34

OT Cats.
One for Pounder here! Even though we all love animals, we are not always fans of other people’s cats peeing in our garden. Luckily, there is a handy, Even though we all love animals, we are not...
12
12

An old cable I am not familiar with
Steel braided PVC cables found in an Airey house. never intended for domestic use and may have been used in pits and quarries is one suggestion I have had. The cables cores are stranded copper and the...
21
21

Re: Cyclists: Scourge of the Streets?
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 21:31:00 +0100, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyBetteridge's law of headlines? Find out when Cyclists: Scourge of the Streets? is on TV. Episode guide, trailer, review, preview, cast...
1
1

USB Stick Oddity
I have a 'New Jersey Sound' NJA 240 portable sound system that I use for background music at parties and bbq's It's probably 5 or so years old. As well as audio input sockets it has a USB input, and I...
32
32

Re: Why would a gas boiler make soot?
The analyzer is actually called a flue gas analyzer not and oxygen analyzer. A half decent one costs about $4500 CAD. Second of all there is no guarantee that the ?speeder jets? are blocked because...
1
1

Ceiling mounted water resistant security camera?
I've nearly completed the slow and painful re-cabling of the 3rd bedroom/ office. 13 Amp laid, and about to be connected into the ring. Ethernet run through the joists to the far side of the room....
5
5

3-way immmersion heater electrical connection?
We have a hot-water cylinder with 2 immersion heaters. (2 heaters ecause we have no other means of heating bath/shower volumes of water, and need a reserve heater in case of heater failure.) At the...
11
11

Cement keeping
I've had most of a opened bag of cement stored in my dry hut, wrapped in a moisture proof bag, for the past almost 3 years, dipping in as needed - none of which has been for structural work, just odd...
3
3

Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...
As part of the re-furb we're starting to think about how to escape a fire if the staircase is impassable. We plan to stay here until age and decrepitude means we have to move, so the system needs to...
87
87