Gate with one gatepost

Or attempt to suss out where you live...

Reply to
Jimk

I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has to remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small dog) but simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way, a commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many thanks for any thoughts.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Does it have to open in both directions, or only one? If the latter, could you adapt one of these, but with the pin mounted vertically on the top of the wall? Granted, that might not be considered aesthetic.

Alternatively a bolt going into the wall?

Reply to
newshound

If your gate has a flat top a block of wood attached to the top and one of these will work

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Unfortunately the wall is loose slate stones and not solid so any free side fitting will have be cantilevered out from the hinge side post or from something buried int he path inside the wall. Not impossible, so thanks for the suggestion. But if I am doing this a bolt would work too.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If mounted hinge side it would have to be about three times as long and very rigid to keep the gate closed. I am thinking a similar loop made of 3 X 2 sides and hinged with a bolt through the gatepost might work, although it would be a bit heavy, and need lifting above head height to open.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

A bolt that goes into a hole in the ground, like the bolts you get on a pair of gates/doors where one locks and the other is only openable once the locking one is open and gives access to the bolt? It would depend how high the wall is as to whether there's enough space to stow it in the 'up' position and swing it over the wall.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The wall top is at ground level and the gate swings over it. So I either need a plate with a bolt hole that goes over the top of the wall or a big loop of metal or wood that extends from the gatepost of keep the gate closed.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I did this a couple of years ago with a pair of saloon door hinges and the gate has survived a couple of winters. (The fence it was attached to has not, but that is another story.)

I presume all saloon door hinges have adjustable tension springs but in this case I could crank it up so it would give way to the force-28 gales we have around our way but not give way easily to the cocker spaniel.

HTH

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yep, a fixed plate at the hinge end of the gate with a pin thru the plate and part of the gate that stops it opening unless the pin is raised.

Havent bothered to look but I'd be surprised if there isnt.

Even brain farts ?

Reply to
Jake56

That should work well and easy to have a long bolt down the free side of the gate so you don?t have to bend down to let the gate open.

Too clumsy for me, particularly if the gate top is at something like chest height.

Reply to
Jake56

Multiple options exist. gis a picture or we don't know the setup or issues.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks. What i like about this group is when someone gives you a name for something i vaguely knew existed but didn't know what to look for. Sounds like the ideal answer!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

BTW, the long bolts that go into a hole in the ground are called drop bolts.

Reply to
Bob Eager