OT:Beige Eggs was White Eggs

Just as so nobody will turn up at their local Tesco and be disappointed, in my local Tesco at least they seem to have run out of white eggs - in large free range half dozens at least, and have reverted to beige.

michael adams

michael adams

Pardon me, but does the shell colour matter? Also of course I looked up Free Range the other day, its certainly not the image of chickens whiling away their days in an open paddock we get on adverts. It seems they could have as little as 1 metre square of space each to be classed as free range. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Of course not, Brian. Only a racist would claim otherwise. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No, some punters just think it does.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes. To consumers. The fact that consumers mistakenly believe brown eggs were more nuritious is why brown and beige eggs came to dominate retail, with white eggs being supplied to hotels and caterers. The fact their belief is mistaken is neither here not there.

The exact same could be said of the appearance of loads of things. Cars don't necessarily perform any better bacause they look nice or are a certain colour. The same could be said of clothes, consumer electronics. Just about everything in fact; most of it is all a superficial veneer which neverthless persuades people to buy new items to replace others which possibly haven't even worn out. .

White shelled eggs were a novelty, seeing as they hadn't been on general retail sale for decades, that's all.

The point about free range is that free range chickens have the option of going outside of the shed into the field, assumming they can find the door, if they should choose to do so. The fact is most free range chickens probably won't bother if they're provided with sufficient food and warmth inside.

michael adams

michael adams

A lot of this is actually just paying lip service to the animal welfare aspect of the animal exploitation.

The only eggs I might consider eating are those from someone who might be keeping a small flock of 'rescued' hens, if they were still laying but otherwise going to waste.

Only 3% of the eggs consumed in the UK are organic and it's only those where the chickens could be considered as having anything like a 'natural' life (if commercial that's still likely to only be 2/5ths of what it would be in nature).

It's funny, once you remove the disconnect between exploiting animals it's very easy to avoid doing so to a large degree.

I wonder how many dog lovers are happy to go to the greyhound track for example? I wonder how many know how many dogs are killed, injured or mistreated whilst being exploited and if they do, why don't they care?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think you'll find that there is a correlation between cars having sleek lines

both looking better and performing better

tim

Reply to
tim...

I think Defenders are beautiful.

But...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think modern cars are generally ugly. Sleek but bloated shapes just don't appeal. Lots of good looking oldies have poor cd.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's eggism

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But not "necessarily"; that's the point.

The Jaguar Mark II came supplied in 3 different engine sizes

2.4, 3.4, and 3.8 litre all with the same body shape and trim level.

And in any case, its arguable whether *everyone* would agree that cars with the most "sleek lines", necessarily look the nicest. For whole decades both in cars and general consumer goods, boxy shapes were favoured by the consumer. Think Fiat 125 or 1st and 2nd generation

5 series BMW's. The latter of which, many still prefer bodywise if not performance wise, to later designs.

michael adams

michael adams

It's eggism

NT

==

lol

Reply to
Ophelia

There are unusual cars in existence with much lower cd than the usual road vehicles. Some look fairly good, some look really awful. Practicality is a problem area with them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr