Preying (praying?) mantis eggs

Anyone here ever purchase a preying mantis egg case for the garden?

I called futuregarden.com, and spoke to 2 different clueless teenagers who not only couldn't answer any questions about hatching environment, but couldn't even tell me what the shipping charge would be!

Reply to
Anonymous

I think I paid $7 for 2 egg nests a couple of months ago from a home improvement center. I put them in 2 different areas of the yard in the branches of large plants about 1 ft off the ground. They little buggers are now about 1.5 inches long and very active. I run into many of them while weeding. The nests weigh practically nothing so I can't imaging the shipping charge would be much. It's getting a little late in the season for them however.

Reply to
M.Paul

That's what I was wondering. I think I'll wait until next year.

The high shipping is because they have to ship Next Day, because they're considered perishable.

Reply to
Anonymous

Especially during this current weather. ;-)

I bought one last spring so my population of them is up now.

I like them!

Do look around tho', they are highly available from many gardening sites. Google is your friend!

I need to get more lacewing eggs to control scale and mealy bug, and I may also consider getting some baby ladybugs for the greenhouses.

Can one get ladybug larvae or only the adult beetles?

I'll have to follow my own advice and google......

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Usually we have lots around here (SoCal desert) but so far this year I've not seen any. Normally by midsummer there are 3 or 4 big ones camped on my porch (along with a couple toads), and I see the same ones there for the rest of the season. Plus lots of small ones mostly in the pine trees. So far not a one. Wonder where they went?? The toads are still here...

~REZ~

Reply to
Rez