Webcam software.

What's the best freebie for Win7? Have SplitCam which works OK but keeps on nagging me to upgrade to the latest version. Which doesn't work on Win7.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

iSpy?

Reply to
Pancho

What do you actually want to do with it?

(i.e. are we talking about capturing video from a webcam, or using it for voice/video chat / conferencing)

For conferencing, then sky, zoom, and similar are obvious categories.

For video capture, then any number of things will work. VLC would be a good start.

For surveillance camera capture, the iSpy is very good, although many NAS type devices also have the capability.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is that a recommendation based on use and having tried a few? I've Googled for the best one, and each site seems to have their own preference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

make that skype

Reply to
John Rumm

iSpy is more a security recording app, with features like motion detection.

Reply to
Fredxx

Sorry by web cam I was thinking security cam, which probably isn't what you meant.

iSpy is for security cameras.

Reply to
Pancho

yep, my mistake.

Reply to
Pancho

and another Ispy..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I have used an old version of Manycam (v2.4.69) for years, it is a virtual camera as well and can be used to manipulate on screen text and various screen distortions. I have no idea what the latest version is like, but I have found it quite useful.

Reply to
John

You are going to find this problem increasingly on software, as nobody is testing it on windows 7. Yet some programs from the past still keep working on xp, which is interesting. It seems to have a lot to do with the compiling code used, if its Microsoft, although there are often switches in the compiler to make backward compatible code in the latest tools, they are not set by default. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

If you do Properties on an executable EXE file, there can be a place there to set the Compatibility level. For example, you could run a favorite program on Windows 10, and set the compatibility to Windows XP, and the program "feels" like it's on Windows XP.

Right-click the EXE file and select Properties from the result. There could be a Compatibility Tab in Properties.

The executable files are of different types. The Properties do not look the same for all of them. An executable which is signed, might have a Compatibility tab. For a person with poor eyesight, these non-uniformities will drive you crazy (because of course, no tool can say exactly what an executable is, in terms of identifying type).

What is particularly annoying, is when an EXE starts and a dialog appears which says "this is not a WIN32 program". When in fact, it *is* a WIN32 program, but the newer api-* DLL files haven't been installed by the user in advance. And again, as is popular in computing, the dialog does not say "you idiot, install the necessary DLLs to solve this problem". You're left to wonder why the program is not WIN32.

I can't really keep track of all the permutations and combinations. I don't even have samples of the more "evil" executable formats! Some were short-lived.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Not really Brian. I had to use an earlier version of SplitCam for Win7, linked to from their site. It's that version which keeps on prompting me to upgrade it to one which doesn't work. A bug somewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)