WebCam

Like I'd guess many at this time, I'm using Zoom etc quite a bit.

If adjust the screen on my laptop so the camera is properly framed on me, the viewing angle for the LCD screen is all wrong - washed out picture.

I'd also like a bigger screen than my laptop. Like the 24" monitor on this desktop. Which hasn't got a camera.

What would be a decent camera to buy? Don't mind paying for a decent picture. Corded USB just fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What has this got to do with DIY.

Try google or homebuilt

--

Reply to
GB

Anything sub £60 or so seems to be out of stock everywhere I've looked (online). I have a Logitech one I paid about £35 for (6 years ago), and it's fine for Zoom, Skype etc, but it's superceded now of course. I've been wanting to get one for my wifes PC, no luck so far, although I've ordered from Amazon, but it's awaiting stock.

Reply to
Davidm

Andy Burns

Are you going on to perform on chaturbate.

--

Reply to
GB

I'm using a corded Logitech C270. It has a built in microphone, but for meetings I use the microphone on my headset. OTH, the microphone seemed fine for my on-line birthday party on Saturday.

Charles

Reply to
charles

I know Logitech is likely the brand leader. Not been that impressed with their quality on other products - despite the premium price.

And really don't want to pay extra for stereo. ;-) Actually a nonsense for comms use, as stereo will pick up more background noise and room acoustics

- the very last things you want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup - don't need a mic. But all the ones I've seen have them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it not possible to feed the output of a smartphone camera via USB ? Surely you have a couple going spare ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

John Paul Jones.

---

Reply to
GB

I don't 'need' one either, but it's a lot less effort.

Reply to
charles

#

Do you have a question about DIY

Reply to
GB

Just bought one off Ebay

for £24. Ordered on 7th and delivered today even though it said 19th-23rd May. Just tried it out and it's working fine. Note manual focus.

Reply to
Figaro

Good idea Giving Chinks money.

Idiot.

--

Reply to
GB

How about connecting the laptop to the bigger screen? Then you can point its camera where it needs to be for best framing, and ignore the laptop screen altogether.

Reply to
John Rumm

For £79 you could have bought an 8" Portal Mini that does away with all that with it's tracking camera and also provides a 10W BT speaker, Alexa, Web browser, voice activated calling / clearing ... ;-)

My 90year old Mum seems to be making good use of hers, mostly connecting to the immediate family (and some friends) on theirs. ;-)

I was away from ours last night when a mate called me on his and I took the video chat call on my phone. It reminded me what a PITA it is doing that and the number of times he got a view of the ceiling / floor as the phone fell over etc.

The 'tracking camera' is worth it on it's own (when you consider how much you have to spend to get fewer features without such a device), especially when you are speaking to people who aren't good with tech.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The OP said he was "using Zoom quite a bit". Have you had any success using zoom on a portal. I have been trying (remotely) to help someone connect to a family zoom conference on the portal with no success at all. Portal to Portal it seems fine, but we have been unable to go portal to zoom. Any clues?

Reply to
Chris B

AFAICS they're both separate, closed, proprietary platforms.

It is possible to stream a Zoom meeting onto Facebook.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Iguess its diy since you want a studio. One thing I would say is this, do not use the mike in the camera, or you will sound like you are in a cave. Get a cheap tie clip sort and us that. I would also suggest that you deal with lighting as well while you are at it. Myself, I have an issue because not being able to see, and people would like to see me, how can a blind person know they are in shot correctly? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Maybe they could shout "left a bit, right a bit, we can see your toes"

Although I think the Portal devices sort that out by detecting movement.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog