Identify a thread

I have a thread I could do with some help to identify. It's on a 2 gallon steel container .. so assuming imperial is a good start . It is the male thread on a welded on pipe...

It's a parallel male thread OD : 0.728" TPI : 24

Would have assumed a pipe thread but pitch is too fine. Although undersize, possible it could have been a nominal 3/4"

Reply to
rick

Beats me. I can find 20 or 28 tpi but not 24 at that diameter.

ISTR finding an odd fine pitch on some sort of steel electrical conduit once.

Reply to
newshound

Are you sure it's a thread and not just narled rings to give grip for a rubber hose pushed on?

Reply to
Dave W

M18x1mm ?

Reply to
AJH

Just had a quick look at various threads, and all I can say is that the

24 tpi feels too fine for a major diameter of 0.728"

Are you sure you have the correct dimensions?

Reply to
Fredxx

knurled.

Or possibly gnarled, if it were a tree.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If not, if there is enough space, cut it off and re cut a tread in whats left to something you can get. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Good call, that is listed here. Not a common size though.

newshound

Except OD is 0.728" which is 18.5mm so cannot be M18. Hence the need to recheck measurements.

Reply to
Fredxx

Could it be the tread a compression cone and nut goes onto? They are often weird thread rates.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

M19 X 1 seems to have a place in German plumbing. See the following, I haven't done much research!

Roger Hayter

M19 x 1 would have a major diameter closer to 19mm/0.75".

I would expect a female M19x1 to have a minor diameter of 17.92mm

That's not a lot of purchase for a male screw with a major diameter of

18.5mm .
Reply to
Fredxx

Well if it is a 1mm pitch thread the OP already made a 4% error measuring this, so maybe the major diameter is a little wrong?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Thamks. I couldn't think of any spelling that looked right, but knurled is right.

Reply to
Dave W

maybe a conduit thread would make sense it is Galv steel

Reply to
rick

defn a thraed

Reply to
rick

I have checked again with digital vernier and a thread gauge - measurements I gave are correct

Reply to
rick

100% sure
Reply to
rick

that's a possibility.

This is looking like I will need to solder something else on to get to a useful thread.

Reply to
rick

Or simply use a compression fitting nut and cone to connect a copper pipe.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike