Subject Author Posted Replies

Gas detectors?
Does anyone know if there are any affordable domestic detectors along the lines of "someone's turned on the gas on the cooker but forgot to check it ignited"? I'm not overly clued up on this sort of...
17 years ago 5

Corgi Registered ?
apparently not Good !!! It's about time more prosecutions were brought in for this type of malicious behaviour. Many people think they can do the job because the supply pipes don't leak gas, but they...
17 years ago 14

OT - Domestic Safe
I'm seriously thinking of buying a safe, but have no Idea on what's good what's not etc...I don't really have too many places to bolt a safe into a concrete floor other than the garage, so was...
17 years ago 9

Re: Corrugated Asbestos Roof - what replacements?
Have a look at , they have a range of roofing materials which should cover your purpose. (even if you just look and buy it elsewhere but I find them cheap!) The Q You could use corrugated iron...
17 years ago 10

garage roof felt
My neighbour and I have had our garage roof re-felted. It's (obviously) a flat roof with the slope front to back. I'm happy with the work, but neighbour asked whether felt strips should run front to...
17 years ago 3

Builders Skip - cost of,
Just paid £130 for a builders skip. 9 out of 10 companies I contacted charged £130; one £150. Seems expensive way of getting rid of a load of rubble, which will probably get sold on as hardcore....
17 years ago 16

immersion heater sizes
Are immersion heaters available that have a higher output than the standard 3 kWatts, that fit into a standard immersion port in a cylinder? thanks In the UK, the 3kW elements are the norm' but you...
17 years ago 1

electric shower doesn't run cold - - advice please!
I wonder if anyone can give me any advice. I recently moved into a house and found that the electric shower cycled between hot and cold. Thinking the shower faulty I replaced it with a Gainsborough...
17 years ago 4

correct name of door-closing part needed
Hoping someone can help me with the right part-name so I don't look a complete numpty when I try to buy it... We have some fire-doors, which slam closed. Very useful for stopping fires, but pretty...
17 years ago 3

Re: Removing a hydronic towel heater rail help?
You shouldn't need to turn anything off. The heat source for the hot water will pump the same water that goes round the radiators through a coil/heat exchanger in the hot water tank to heat the water...
17 years ago 1

Does painting melamine contradict the reason for using melamine?
There have been various posts on painting melamine. All basically concerned with the use of a primer etc. However my question remains unanswered. I always thought that using melamine for kitchen...
17 years ago 1

Re: Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall
Plasterboard is pretty solid! Why not used insulated plasterboard, it has a sort of insulating foam on the back? CJH Alreflex 2L2 is basically foil covered bubble wrap. Don't have any data to hand and...
17 years ago 3

S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter
I've got a SPIT324V battery drill. Its a 24V monster, a few years old but hardly used. I have trouble getting bits for it as they have a shank the same as the Bosch SDS but with an extra groove, which...
17 years ago 2

Fence panel sizes
Can anyone tell me if the standard 6' fence panels are actual size, or nominal (I.e. some allowance for post thickness)? I guess I could answer this by taking a tape measure down to B&Q, but this...
17 years ago 7

Re: Air Admittance Valve - advice
Hi Harv, I've been looking at these devices as I will have to do something with all the soil pipes and stacks when I extend my house. I'm not entirely sure but I think the air admittance device might...
17 years ago 13