acrylic bath damaged

Scratched 1-2mm deep 75mm long; too deep to polish out. Has anyone attempted a repair using the 2 pack kits I have seen advertised? Were the results good?

This bath is brand new and we haven't even finished installing it yet :( The whirlpool equipment fitted to it make it worth repairing rather than replacing.

Reply to
mark

Functionally yes. I have made a several year lasting 'temporary' repair using 2 pack wood filler (this can be sanded very vey smooth and then spray enamel painted). This was to repair a leaking split.

You can still see the repair so it won't haul you out of the hole you are in - you have my sympathies.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

OK folks. Scotch brite pad carefully applied until acrylic was abraded down beyond level of scratch (more like 1mm than 2) then toothpaste then proprietary acrylic bath polish.

:)

Having done the scratch in the new bath I then turned my new found skill to the customers existing bath (which he had scratched himself with a dropped tile and fixed that as well.)

Reply to
mark

I'm impressed... How long did it take you, how many scotch brite bads did you use?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Ed Sirett writes

Just the one pad; rinsing it off periodically helped keep it clean. Must have taken about an hour to do both scratches. The pads were green (medium ?).

I've since been told (but have not tried it) that tile grout can also be used.

Reply to
mark

I'd have used wet or dry to start with - say about 400 grade. Acrylic is very similar to car paint in the way it can be treated for scratch removal/polishing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Possibly because most modern car paints are acrylic?

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure about the water based ones. The very best from the wear point of view were the two part isocyanates, but they're sort of banned now -at least for factory use. I was thinking more of cellulose which is pretty similar to perspex in the way you polish it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Cellulose no longer used in factory jobs either. all water based stuff I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I bought a shower tray recently, I was advised to get one with an acylic cap. Apparently you can use T-cut to bring up the finish when you're done scratching it. I have yet to try it though...

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

No need to pay for T-Cut. Use Brasso.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Oh indeed. But it's the stuff of choice for DIY car work, so I'm more familiar with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind for when the time comes

Reply to
Neil Jones