Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall
Plasterboard is pretty solid! Why not used insulated plasterboard, it has a sort of insulating foam on the back? CJH Alreflex 2L2 is basically foil covered bubble wrap. Don't have any data to hand and...
17 years ago 3

S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter
I've got a SPIT324V battery drill. Its a 24V monster, a few years old but hardly used. I have trouble getting bits for it as they have a shank the same as the Bosch SDS but with an extra groove, which...
17 years ago 2

Fence panel sizes
Can anyone tell me if the standard 6' fence panels are actual size, or nominal (I.e. some allowance for post thickness)? I guess I could answer this by taking a tape measure down to B&Q, but this...
17 years ago 7

Re: Air Admittance Valve - advice
Hi Harv, I've been looking at these devices as I will have to do something with all the soil pipes and stacks when I extend my house. I'm not entirely sure but I think the air admittance device might...
17 years ago 13

Slow builder - how to speed him up?
Please can anyone help restore my sanity? We are over six months into building an extension to our home. The small local builder we engaged to do the job said it would be finished in 5 months, and...
17 years ago 11

Bathroom Ceiling Finish
Hello, Had my bath ceiling plastered and skimmed and just wanted what people would recommend as a finish. Been suggested to artex it?? Cheers Thick lining paper, put on with watery paste and then...
17 years ago 1

Zanussi fan ovens
Does anyone happen to know the part number for the fan oven element (3 turn) of a Zanussi ZCE7700X? I've googled and there appear to be a few different types available. I haven't had much luck with...
17 years ago 2

Noisy ceiling fan
A couple of years ago I installed a ceiling fan in our bedroom (a cheapo one from B&Q). Every time it operates, there is a distinct "hum" coming from the unit. Very annoying if you are trying to get...
17 years ago 2

Evaporative Air Coolers
The reason I'm considering one at all is that we have a need to cool a number of rooms - particularly during this hot spell - but at different times of the day. An air cooler would operate in the...
17 years ago 19

Help describing workshop fitting.
I am currently in the process of selling a doo-dah on ebay. No, this isn't an ad, but if you want to have a look :.))) It's a sort of swivelling arm thing (same sort of mechanism as a desktop lamp)...
17 years ago 3

Re: rcd
i just had a free survey on my electrics and the inspector says i need a new consumer unit cause i dont have a rcd on my socket outlets. is this a requirement or is he just the salesman he appeared to...
17 years ago 14

Re: Moving Electric Sockets from skirting to wall
Health & Safety become usually become involved with anything which is not owner occupier. Socket positioning usually for convenince and baby safety. There's never any slack - Leccys don't think that...
17 years ago 12

Removing glued down vinyl flooring from concrete?
The previous owner of my house glued down the vinyl floor coverings in a small toilet and the utility room. They are well stuck, albeit with ripples in places. I want to remove this and have the...
17 years ago 2

Sun Awnings
For anyone who's interested in a large green striped sun awning( OK, I know it's a British summer!). I found some 4Mx3M awnings at Costco for £165. The rawlbolts for fixing are a bit naff, but the...
17 years ago

Re: Anyone actually used a sparky recently?
At the risk of re-opening an old thread, some friends of mine have just had a quote from SWaLEC to rewire their house. It's a 1900(ish) terrace, electrics last done maybe 25 or 30 years ago, and...
17 years ago 9