Subject Author Posted Replies

Thomson help line is good
Just bought a Thomson TV and VCR. First time I've bought their goods. I had a technical question about the VCR and, with a wry smile, decided to email their help-line. In the past I've had poor...

Shock! Horror! Laminate floor cracked!
In my final push to moving, I had been packing boxes all day today for taking them to the self-storage place tomorrow. In one of the rooms I cleared some stuff and yikes! The new laminate flooring,...
9
9

Can you get 15mm 2-port motorised valves?
I am considering overhauling and zoning my central heating later this year, and would like separate control of each rad. I'm looking for motorised valves which are as small as possible and which will...
18
18

Security again
This is d-i-y related in the sense that I will end up doing the work... I've just installed a camera which covers the immediate vicinity of my house, at the front. This is to try and see the scrotes...
23
23

URGENT - Oven Hob Electrics - Another question?
Hi Further to my other post today, I have tried to do some further investigation, but I'm not so up on electrics, I'm only a mechanical engineer :-) So pull the oven out and disconnected all the...
1
1

Painting a York Stone Fireplace
Just moved house and the wife has wants to demolish the seventies york stone fire place, thing is I like it and somebody put alot of TLC into building it. Unfortunately it was given a coat of gloss...
9
9

Extractor fan shutters sticking
Anyone had this problem? It's a 4" bathroom fan and the external grille has 3 flimsy plastic shutters which keep fouling each other so that they stick open. Can you buy separate external grilles? As...
3
3

Car aerial cable
Having had unwelcome visitors last night I now need to replace the cable from the car stereo to the aerial (or more probably to a connection point in the cable as I am sure that it will not be one...
18
18

Weatherboard Costs
We're thinking of buying a cottage which has a weatherboard exterior and it looks like it has mould on it. Can anyone tell me: (a) what sort of costs we would be looking at to buy new weatherboard,...

Tiling onto brick
Hello, I've done a few searches, but haven't really found the answer to my question: Can one tile directly on to a brick wall (in this case, in a bathroom) assuming that the brick walls are pretty...
1
1

Ariston LS2040 Dishwasher
Grateful for any help with the following problem. Tablet dispenser does not open during wash cycle. Main question, when during the cycle should it open? I have access to solenoid that controls it and...
7
7

lowering kerb
Hi, can any one give any advice on how much it will cost for me to lower the kerb outside my house including the pavement? I have applied for permission with the council so I'm looking to get an...
5
5

Help Please ?! - Oven and Hob electrics
Hi After posting some questions about cable sizes on this forum a while ago, I have finally got around to wiring in my new cooker and hob. To summarise: Old set up was a slot in cooker / ceramic hob...
5
5

aeg 86720 washing maxhine problem
We have an aeg 86720 oko-lavamat washing machine which we bought four years ago, and which has functioned without trouble up until today. During the most recent load of wash it started buzzing and...
1
1

Learning about plumbing systems: book recommendations please?
I'd like to learn a little more about plumbing systems and regulations. Could anyone recommend a book? I was an electrician and can work tubes and pipes but I lack the knowledge of the plumbing...