Subject Author Posted Replies

caps ?
with regard to caps in an old radio is it better to keep a radio switched on or switched off or is degradation just age dependant?
12
12

Is that a 2m distanced building site induction?
it fuck. 1st photo is the site manger telling the bloke in the orange jumper that there is an off-licence with a BOGOF offer on cheap cider and giving him directions to the off licence. 2nd photo is...

Oil CH boiler installation - position of Tiger Loop?
My apologies for coming back again ! I installed the predecessor to this boiler 25+ years ago so cannot specifically remember quite what instructions I got from the company that sold me the boiler and...
1
1

Guocera Ashton Beige Floor tiles
I have barely enough floor tiles by Guocera, in ASTON BEIGE. If the tiler is brill, he might just have enough to cover 2 porches, but ideally would like a couple or so 'spares'. I can't seem to locate...
1
1

Aging copper
How could you age a recently hard silver soldered joint in copper so that it blends in to the old copper and does not look like a new joint?
16
16

Drayton Valves - How can these be the same item?
Hi Guys Just looking at replacing my Drayton TRVs and have a ridiculous range of prices for what appears to be the same item(s). £20.78 £34.64 £31.98 £30 So £21 to £35 - maybe £21 = chinese...
6
6

wireless charging?
New 2020 Renault Zoe R110 ZE 50 5 Door Auto from £189.99 inc VAT a month!!! NO DEPOSIT from £244.99 inc VAT a Month!!! Standard specification includes wireless charging, wireless charging how does...
4
4

Update - the Variac Went Up in Smoke!
Astute readers will recall I was attempting to get an old variac up to modern safety standards. Well, it just spewed out a great deal of acrid smoke and is now reposing in the dustbin. The only thing...
12
12

Cable clipping trunked T&E
I'm replacing wiring to a socket that was run on a spur underneath the carpet (!). I have some skirting trunking that will take care of running it around the edge of the room, and I'm planning to...
2
2

Undated Kodachrome slides ? date
Just been looking through some boxes of other peoples old slides that I bought a few years ago in house clearance shops. One box has a mix of slides marked 'made in england' with no obvious date. I...
31
31

Replacing (quartz) clock mechanism
Over the years our battery ticking kitchen clock has become - to use the technical term - fucked. Presumably something to do with unequal wear and tear etc. Looking at the back, there's a legend...
12
12

CH boiler installation - isolation valves query
This is a follow on from a previous post. I've got to the point of following the boiler re-build instructions and have come across a warning note saying that I must not fit isolation valves in an open...
7
7

OT California Fires
in case anybody has friends or relatives in California,This site provides live monitoring of fires: friend of ours lost his house and three classic cars the last time, in Santa Rosa. So far, it looks...
1
1

Smart meter situation
I'm looking at a smart meter for our Village Hall. Other than checking that the supplier will fit a SMETS 2 rather than the older model, are there any other questions that need to be asked? I'm half a...
17
17

Mechanical battery.
Though more commonly known for its electro-chemical variant, a battery or accumulator is any device that stores energy. Batteries fundamentally allow us to decouple energy supply from demand. But a...
69
69