Spire clips (but they're not) and how to remove them

I need to remove what I *thought* were called 'spire' clips but on searching for "spire clip" what I get to see is clip on fasteners for use with self-tapping (or similar) screws.

What I am talking about are round clips which push on to a rod or collar and are basically impossible or very difficult to remove without destroying them.

So, questions:-

What are they actually called?

How to get them off (destructively or otherwise)?

Where can I get replacements?

Reply to
Chris Green

Starlo[c]k fasteners, perhaps?

Reply to
jkn

What a load of old *Starlocks*.

They are hard to remove unless you can push the shaft right through, or get some collar behind them to push against the middle and splay the fingers out. You can bend out/bend back the fingers but they won't grip so securely afterwards.

Should be generally available.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sounds about right. Or pushnuts pr push washers in Yankeespik - they are almost impossible to get off unless you can get behind them and push the inner tongues outwards

If they are on plastic rod you often snap the rod.

I use strong wire cutters (if I can get them in place) to split them

another way to do the job,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Aha, yes, I think you have it there, thank you! They mostly seem to be referred to as starlock washers.

So, how do I remove them? Now I know the name getting replacements seems fairly easy.

Reply to
Chris Green

I have had some luck cutting them with some cantilever action side cutters.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's sometimes possible to get them off by inserting a bradawl or very small screwdriver and levering one or both springy bits back.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I've removed a lot of these from M3 studs in radios with very limited access. I use two screwdrivers, one to jam in to stop the bastarding thing rotating and the other to bend each of the six tabs away from the thread in turn.

I don't replace them. The studs are not terribly secure and usually have a bit of paint on the threads, so in place of the Starlocks I use plastic nuts which I cut through to allow a bit of expansion.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I often use a cutting disk on a Dremel for things like this. Either the thin, unreinforced ones (which cut quickly, but are easy to break) or the fibre reinforced type which are a bit thicker, so cut slower, but tolerate abuse better.

Reply to
newshound

I shall remember that for when I come across a hefty one that the Maun cutters won't touch.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The latest Lidl cordless one would probably not be up to removing a catalytic converter quickly, but I think it would see off the average domestic padlock with a hardened shackle.

Reply to
newshound

Dremel works very well on them, if there's space for the wheel. But if the thing they're on is plastic pour cold water or it might melt.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Good point