Removing white spirit smell from clothing

I got some white spirit onto the sleeve of a terylene shirt. Bunged it in the washing machine with a Fairy non-bio pod. The whole shirt came out smelling of white spirit! Repeated the wash at a higher temperature - still smelling of white spirit!

What should I wash it in to get rid of the smell?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I had this problem once. The first thing was to get rid of the smell in the washing machine: I put it on the highest temperature wash with a capsule but no clothes in it. That seemed to solve the problem of the washing machine itself smelling.

The trousers that I'd spilled on white spirit needed to be left outside for a few days (after trying to wash them as you had) until the smell was less, and then I risked washing them (on their own) in the machine. Everything was fine. The secret was letting the smell gradually evaporate.

Reply to
NY

Soak it for a few hours in water mixed with a *lot* of washing up liquid. Stir occasionally. Rinse well. And possibly repeat.

Next time apply washing up liquid neat to the fabric affected and work it in well.

Reply to
Robin

Time.

Hang it out on the line on a nice sunny warm day.

Assuming....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

just hang it out side for a week

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the replies. I'll just hang it up in the conservatory and hope for sunshine.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I hope you won't need to continue the thread under the subject "Removing white spirit smell from the conservatory"...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

hang it on a washing line for a day or two.

Reply to
alan_m

A lot of the reason for hanging outside is to let the wind blow the smell away (the WS will evaporate but the wind will blow that evaporate away). Unless I built the conservatory it is unlikely to have enough air movement. Hang it outside and let the wind get to it (I wouldn't worry if it got rained on a bit [really bad weather is another story]).

Reply to
soup

throw it away and head for Primark ?.

Reply to