Removing silicon (not sealant!)

I have inadvertantly got silicon based lubricant spray on the belt of a tumble drier so the damn thing slips on the drum and it doesn't spin with anything more than a damp rag in it.

Is there a normal household cleaner I can spray on it to help remove the silicon without the new belt degrading? Copiuos quantities of paper towel has removed the excess but its still slipping.

TIA

Reply to
TonyK

Meths ? or any alcohol based solvent.

Reply to
Paul

I would try flour or talcolm powder, you may be surprised.

Reply to
Steve Jones

I had a problem after a garage waxed my windscreen (which means the wipers can't disperse the water). No amount of washing with white spirit seemed to get it off. In the end, I called up Triplex who made it. It is quite difficult to remove from glass as it actually forms a weak chemical bond, but it is possible. Was told to wash vigourously with white spirit and to dry by blotting the white spirit off without rubbing. This would require a few rounds and to expect to use up a whole kitchen roll or I wasn't doing it right.

However, to the part of this which is appropriate to you, it's impossible to get it out of rubber, so I must remove the wiper blades from contact with the glass before starting, and fit new blades which must not contact the glass until all the silicone is removed. The rubber would store enough silicone to recoat the glass many times over.

So, don't be surprised if you need a new belt, and don't forget to thoroughly clean the pullies too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup, plus alcohol to get any off the drum then as a final assist give it a spray of 'belt dressing' to restore the gripiness of the belt. Avail from a motor factor. Used to be known as 'belt grip' and used as a cure to slight fan belt slips.

Reply to
fred

TY worked a treat. Missus is happy again.

Reply to
TonyK

Try the stuff that removes silicone sealant. I've no idea what's in it, but that and a lot of paper towels cleaned up a silicone lubricant contamination problem that I had.

Reply to
Andy Dingley